Options

Field of Flags

ChesterJackChesterJack Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited November 14, 2011 in Street and Documentary
This is a field in Plaistow, NH that has an American Flag displayed for every serviceman and servicewoman who has been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq since September 11, 2001.

Over 6,000 flags on display each with the name, rank, branch of service, hometown and date the person was killed serving our country.

Incredible tribute.
"Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    First is terrific - take down the second. If I can think of any way to improve the first -which is much stronger than the second - it would be to get so close to the first flags that we could read the ID attached. I realize this would kick the rest somewhat out of focus, but i think that would be okay.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    The first is the more powerful image by far. That name tag doesn't come close to making up for the field, so full of sharply-focused flags, that they dwindle to nothing in the background. The OOF flags sort of kill the second one.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Strictly limited to my novice abilities. But thanks for the feedback.
    "Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Nice shot Chester

I too like #1 better (maybe a tiny bit of horizon straighten)

These community memorials are interesting, I have one in Lafayette, CA. I was thinking of posting it; but I figure Veterans Day is for the living and Memorial Day... well you know

Shot is well taken
    Rags
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    #1 was by far the stronger of the two for me. A very nice capture indeed.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Just one more
    To give you all a sense of the expanse of the flags. Not putting this up for any purpose other than to try and show you all just how big this was. Have never seen anything like it before.

Thanks for all the very nice comments and helpful suggestions.