Options

files

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 17, 2011 in Finishing School
hello:i downloaded 78 photos from my smugmug site to my computer.the problem is i dont know how to move the pictures into photo shop.i have elements 7 thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I don't use Elements 7 but it has a "photo browser" component, which you use to navigate to your files. Unzip the zip file from SmugMug, and put the enclosed folder on your hard disk where you keep your photos. Then use elements 7 browser to find and open the files.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    thanks,welcome back.i have never unzipped a file
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011

Yooper, google is your friend in situations like this. Try this search. Holler if you need more help after checking some of those links, ok?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    i read some of the info on google for unzipping files,i even downloaded an unzip program but i am still lost!
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    i read some of the info on google for unzipping files,i even downloaded an unzip program but i am still lost!
    try googling for 7-zip
    its one of the best and free
    the others are paid

zipping means ; packing a file or files into one file
    you need a tool to un-pack

winrar and winzip are the best [ and 7zip ]

download and install 7zip
    double click on the zip-file mentioned above
    drag and drop the contents into a folder in your PC
    done
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    try googling for 7-zip
    its one of the best and free
    the others are paid

zipping means ; packing a file or files into one file
    you need a tool to un-pack

winrar and winzip are the best [ and 7zip ]

download and install 7zip
    double click on the zip-file mentioned above
    drag and drop the contents into a folder in your PC
    done

I do not understand this. I put a Zip file on my Win7 desktop - double click it and Windows will extract the files just fine, no other software needed.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011

Right-click on the file icon and choose "Open."
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    i have downloaded 7 zip to my desktop and i pulled up the files needing unzipping which appears as a box not a folder.hpw do i apply 7zip to the pictures? thanks
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    In Win 7 and XP, you should be able to simply right click on the zip file and select Extract All. The Extraction Wizard will guide you through the rest. No need for any other software from what you pull down from SmugMug.

Sometimes the confusion comes if you have some other software that is registered to .zip file types it will ask or assume that instead when double clicking or simply selecting Open.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    hello:i followed your instructions and came up with a box that said the processed files were at c:\programfiles\7zip\7zfm\ but i cant find the processed files
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    the directory is probably c:\Program Files\7zip\7zfm\

not programfiles

Quick tip!

Hold down on the Windows Key and tap E. That should launch windows explorer. Follow the trail down from C: into Program Files Then on into looking for 7zip or possibly 7 zip then onto whatever directory on in that etc.. Gotta be some .jpg files in the resulting target.. hopefully. lol

You are a bit north of me, so hope I don't have to come up and visit. I charge mileage! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    you are better off staying put!.we can get over 300 inches of snow in one season!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    you have given me good advise i am not even close to grtasping the concept.i dont think there is an extraction wizard on my 7 zip and i dont know how to apply 7zpl to my files
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    Well.. I think you are really over thinking it.

Bascially a zip file is a container of all the files that were originally packaged in it at the time of "zippage". lol So like ordering several items from one store and they deliver them in one box to your door. It is simply a matter of extracting the contents out of that container (simply called a zip file) and putting them elsewhere so you can access them via your Elements 7.

So I take it following the directory down in Windows Explorer as I suggested above did not find you your pics? We seem to be hopping around here quite a bit.

The extraction wizard I mentioned is a part of windows if you right click on the zip file and select Extract All. ...and not sure what 7zpl is at all or why you are wanting to apply it. I don't even see that mentioned elsewhere in the thread! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    JWW...7zpl is I think 7zip mis typed......

funny I have been using 7zip for ages and ages.....with XP I never saw an Extract all when I would right click on a zip file....nor have I ever seen it with Win 7 and all have been full retail versions since my desktops have been custom builds......Oh well...not going to worry about it......

Yooperdooper:
    This is my way to do it....I download my files from Smugmug to my desktop in a folder named Downloaded from SM....I open that folder which contains the zipfiles from SM.....now I simply right click and click open with.....click on 7zip ... ... 7zip then opens and shows the files... now highlight all the files ... ... ... ...click on the extract button and tell it where to put your photos...I simply put into another folder on my desktop named extracted photos ...then I move to their permanent home on my external drive ... ...

Always tell your computer where to put all files so you never have to hunt for them ...that really sux....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    JWW...7zpl is I think 7zip mis typed......

funny I have been using 7zip for ages and ages.....with XP I never saw an Extract all when I would right click on a zip file....nor have I ever seen it with Win 7 and all have been full retail versions since my desktops have been custom builds......Oh well...not going to worry about it......

Hi Art. Gotcha.. that is probably what they meant. Thanks! :)

Dunno... I know I have it here on my XP machine as well as my GF's Win 7 machine both of which I have built from scratch. Open should do the same unless you have software registered to .zip files already. Open With should work as well and pick 7 zip or Compressed (zipped) Folders.

Oh well.. but I digress and probably now have confused poor yooper way too much.... As long as we can get them helped out and back playing with photos I don't care the method!

Appreciate your help! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    i have unzipped the picture files which i downloaded from smugmug.thanks.my next step is to get the photos into the catelog of photoshop.in photoshop i went to fil-get files and folders and a box showed up.at the bottom right there was options for open and get photos.there was also a space at the bottom for entering a file name
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    i have unzipped the picture files which i downloaded from smugmug.thanks.my next step is to get the photos into the catelog of photoshop.in photoshop i went to fil-get files and folders and a box showed up.at the bottom right there was options for open and get photos.there was also a space at the bottom for entering a file name

Yooper, have you tried this page?
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopElements/7.0_Win/WS8450E473-16BC-486f-9AC2-60039B6FA433.html

In particular, these two:
    Organizing your photos
    How do I find photos?
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    Good call Andy!

Also Yooper, if you don't mind spending a bit of money for some excellent online courses. At Lynda.com for $25, you get 1 month of anything you want to take from their extensive catalog of training.

They just so happen to have Elements 7 tutorials as well as some great ones on Windows file and directory navigation. I think if you spent just a bit of time on the latter, you would have much less problems. ...though I promise we don't mind helping you at all. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    [i think i got it!i got the photos into photoshop.tell me if tis sounds ok:i did not use 7zip to extract the files i used the extract all button in the window which had all the files in it.is it impossible to get the pics into photoshop if the files are still compressedf? am i ok?
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    You are fine... either the Extract All or 7zip would do the same thing. Again, a zip file is simply a container that many different software can read successfully and extract your photos to whatever target location you select.

So yupper Yooper (lol) you should be fine. You should have a bunch of pics ready to pull into photoshop. Basically if you can see them, photoshop can as well as soon as you tell it where they all are.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    [i think my last reply got lost.you guys have been very helpful.i got the photos into photoshop.somehow,however i lost about 10 pics from the time i downloaded from my smugmug site.fortunately i was able to recover most of them from my photoshop catelognow i will chase down the last few............thanks ps concerning printmarks sorry i sent the info to the wrong place the other day.i did send an e-mail to the help desk after that. thanks
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    Glad you got it sorted out!

For the remaining lost ones you could always use the Save Photo option from your site which will do one pic at a time. It is located on the bottom of the fly-in where you normally select up thumb down thumb when mouse hovering over the pic. Keep in mind you must be logged in to get that option.