Laneway

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited November 17, 2011 in Street and Documentary
DS21758-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    It's a good street shot, Jennifer. Like to see a few more midtones in it, though.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    The Girl's What look makes it for me and Cajun Chicken, Yummmm !

Oh and the surrounding elements complete the imga, I like it.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Looks like a painting - beautiful.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    It's a good street shot, Jennifer. Like to see a few more midtones in it, though.

I played with them originally, but I ended up preferring this. I'll take another look at it at some point.
    bfjr wrote: »
    The Girl's What look makes it for me and Cajun Chicken, Yummmm !

Oh and the surrounding elements complete the imga, I like it.

This was literally one of those micro-second shots. I felt something coming together, lifted the camera and click. The surrounds complete it for me too.
    damonff wrote: »
    Looks like a painting - beautiful.

Thanks. It simply feels nice to me.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    michswiss wrote: »
    I played with them originally, but I ended up preferring this. I'll take another look at it at some point.

This was literally one of those micro-second shots. I felt something coming together, lifted the camera and click. The surrounds complete it for me too.

Thanks. It simply feels nice to me.

Much as I agree with much of what Russ has to say, usually, I love this rendering - the blacks and whites. The initial shapes and contrast are almost enough unto themselves, but when you look closely and see that there's something happening between each of the three pairs of people (I count the cell phone as the mate to the fellow sitting at the table), the shot is elevated even further.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I think the high contrast in this shot is its strongest feature. It would certainly be nice otherwise, but this rendering manifests the power that is present exceptionally well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I rather enjoy how busy the whole scene is with the high contrast... And the gal in the middle could be a model with that 'look'.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Okay you guys, I surrender. (Still like to see midtones, though)
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Much as I agree with much of what Russ has to say, usually, I love this rendering - the blacks and whites. The initial shapes and contrast are almost enough unto themselves, but when you look closely and see that there's something happening between each of the three pairs of people (I count the cell phone as the mate to the fellow sitting at the table), the shot is elevated even further.

This a great comment, thoughtful and constructive. I agree with the choice of sharper contrast, but just for the sake of learning, I wouldn't mind seeing something lighter.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    If I may, Russ, I think the problem with the strong contrast here is that the highlight is this triangular thumb shape thing - try defocus your eyes and just see the light and dark without content. Anyway, that's not a pleasure shape per se. A gentler midtone punch would improve this, IMHO.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram