Erie Canal long post

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited October 26, 2005 in Holy Macro
Back in the late 1800s Industry and agriculture in the midwest states of the US was growing fast, but one of the huge problems they had to face was getting the product to the large markets of the well established east.

One of the methods of moving this product was the Erie Canal. It ran from Lake Erie in north west Ohio to New York. The canal stopped being used long ago but remnatnts of it still remain across Ohio and New York.

Here in NW Ohio there are portions of the canal that still exist and many of the lock structures remain.

41058420-L.jpg

At providence Metropark near Grand Rapids Ohio the have a restored water powered mill and a restored canal boat. On weekends in the summer the boat travels up and down the canal giving visitors a history lesson and a taste of what it would have been like to travel the canal back then.

The canal boats means of propulsion were a team of mules. The mules would pull on a rope attached to the front of the boat. The mules would walk along the "tow path" with the mule handler.

41058438-L.jpg

41058446-M.jpg

Back then there was a small stable on the boat and when one mule team got tired they would switch them.

For the tours they just switch the mules after each trip.

41058436-M.jpg

The mules are well cared for and loved by their handlers. Even back then these animals were their livelyhood and were generally well cared for.

41058455-M.jpg

This particular boat is crewed by its captain...

41058525-M.jpg

Boy this boat captain stuff sure makes you thursty

41228909-M.jpg

And several young women in period clothes.

41228923-L.jpg

If you are ever in the area, check it out. It is a nice look into the past.

Thanks for looking

Brian

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Interesting post brian. I had heard of it but never seen the canal & had no idea about the mules.

Thanks (nice shots as well mate)
    Gus
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Great Info.
    GREAPER wrote:
    Back in the late 1800s Industry and agriculture in the midwest states of the US was growing fast, but one of the huge problems they had to face was getting the product to the large markets of the well established east.
    If you are ever in the area, check it out. It is a nice look into the past.
    Thanks for looking

Brian
    Fantastic report Greaper, and a lovely series of images too, excellent work.
    You know the first time I ever saw a Mule I thought it was a horse rolleyes1.gif
    For some reason I had it in my head that a Donkey and a Mule were exactly the same thing and small, something you just carry a basket on, and walk beside ne_nau.gif dunno why.....maybe I saw it on TV at some stage, but gosh those Mules are BIG !! they look in very good condition, I bet they are treated very good by the owners...... the place looks great Greaper thanks for sharing and writting your story...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Fantastic report Greaper, and a lovely series of images too, excellent work.
    You know the first time I ever saw a Mule I thought it was a horse rolleyes1.gif
    For some reason I had it in my head that a Donkey and a Mule were exactly the same thing and small, something you just carry a basket on, and walk beside ne_nau.gif dunno why.....maybe I saw it on TV at some stage, but gosh those Mules are BIG !! they look in very good condition, I bet they are treated very good by the owners...... the place looks great Greaper thanks for sharing and writting your story...... Skippy (Australia)
    Its funny skip...we had over 40 horses on our farm when i was a kid & we travelled to a lot of equestrian events rodeos etc & to this day i have never ever seen a mule..ne_nau.gif
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Its funny skip...we had over 40 horses on our farm when i was a kid & we travelled to a lot of equestrian events rodeos etc & to this day i have never ever seen a mule..ne_nau.gif
    Mules are terrific animals, and really clever. The mule trip down the Grand Canyon is a magic experience: and they are in charge, the people are just passengers no matter how good a rider they think they might be on a horse. Did I take my camera though: no - I was so sure I'd be doing a freefall out of sheer terror I left the Nikon in the car and bought a $10 plastic-lens disposable for the ride. Regretted it, as the mule was just so confident and knew what it was about, you could just drop the reins and use both hands on the camera. But those cowboy saddles! What an ordeal, never to be repeated, give me a nice English saddle or a Poley any day.

Back to subject: Greaper I love these, and the first shot of the mill, so good!!
    The mules are a bonus with their smart clean harness, show quality.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Greaper, Thanks,

Nice interesting post with some wonderful photos.

I especially like the last photo, just myself, they are all good.

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Very cool. Great shots and a bit of a history lesson to go with them. thumb.gif
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Hi Brian,
    Nice shots and a cool story that I really enjoyed. I've yet to spend time in the east and see all these sites. All these photos just makes me want to pack up and do some travelling.

My favorite kind of building is the old water powered mills. I can never get enough of them. Did you get any shots of the wheel side as I'd love to see them.

Thanks for sharing this series,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    There is no wheel side in this mill. The construction is different from what you normally see. The canal runs under the mill and the wheel is inside the building. I wish it had a wheel on the outside as I think that looks cool as well, but it doesn't.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 26, 2005
    Only read about the canal and it's importance to trade in the day.

These are nice pictures that convey a sense of what it might have been like
    back then.

Thanks Brian!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?