amish family

ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited November 19, 2011 in People
I thought it would be a little different if I was in the field photographing an Amish family, to give a better composition .family-of-five-copy-M.jpg
What do you all think?
Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
branhamphoto.com

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Who planted that tree right in the middle of your shot?? Nice catch, good action shot.
  • ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I thought about cloning it out ,but didn't because it might mess up the shot.
    Thanks
    branhamphoto.com
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Great idea, good try, however I have two comments (and that is just my personal opinion for whatever its worth)

- Technically there is something not right, I think its over saturated and to much artificial sharpness is added (look at leaves of the trees).

-Secondly, shooting people is best done up-close. Seek contact and then portrait them. I can only recommend not to use a tele for unseen shots. This is the first lesson I got in the Art and Photography academy. My first tasks was ( I am men) take a 24mm fixed lens and portrait ladies in the Ladies closet . I can guarantee you that trying this without contact and a chat I would have had a couple of black eyes.
    I talked and explained the task, the second lady agreed immediate (ladies room, not the seats).

So try it out,,,,
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
    edited November 18, 2011
    WEll D3, I might agree with the over sat part , but I was looking for a high saturation look, the Amish are noted for not being colorful . As to the close up I didn't want a close up. I wanted to show the family in the wagon and environment, this is their way of transportation here in Ohio and is very common with the Amish. I have plenty of close ups also.
    I don't know what you mean by " I can only recommend not to use a tele for unseen shots." I visualize all most 90% of my shots before I take them , this is how I like to work " pre-visualization " enables me to build an Image and not just documenting something.
    Thanks for the C&C
    branhamphoto.com
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    ran wrote: »
    WEll D3, I might agree with the over sat part , but I was looking for a high saturation look, the Amish are noted for not being colorful . As to the close up I didn't want a close up. I wanted to show the family in the wagon and environment, this is their way of transportation here in Ohio and is very common with the Amish. I have plenty of close ups also.
    I don't know what you mean by " I can only recommend not to use a tele for unseen shots." I visualize all most 90% of my shots before I take them , this is how I like to work " pre-visualization " enables me to build an Image and not just documenting something.
    Thanks for the C&C

Thanks for the explanation, in this case I will have to review my comments.rolleyes1.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
    edited November 19, 2011
    I always appreciate your comments -Thanks again
    branhamphoto.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    D3, most of the Amish really don't want their photos taken by outsiders so sometimes it is a tele grab shot. If the children were alone I would give them some coins to take their photos. Several years back a man went to an Amish school and took them hostage. It was a very bad scare for everyone so now most of the Amish are warry of strangers.
    edited November 19, 2011
    My wife an I were out buying some lumber and met this Amish family ,who had the most beautiful flower garden with a couple of kids hanging around and I asked if I could photograph them in the flowers.They were ticked and very pleased and the kids quickly jumped into the flower garden smiling loudly it was great. randall
    branhamphoto.com
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    A great subject to photograph - I never see Amish in Australia. I agree that it is over saturated and that is the very first thing I noticed but after reading your explanation, I can see why you processed it this way. I still think I would prefer the background more subdued. Thanks for sharing this, it is very interesting to me. Lesley