Options

Smashley

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
edited November 15, 2011 in People
Two shots from a test run in DC. Our Strobist group is working on setting up a photo scavenger hunt.

I really like the first and the 2nd was of Smashley and her boyfriend. I'm just regretting the flash not being far enough to the right. If I would have had another person there I would have tossed them the reflector and had them fix the extra shadow on the left of her face.

6342136898_c1801871f0_z.jpg

6240604060_d4cf67e5a7_z.jpg
On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I'm far more bothered by the distractions at the top of the frame than the shading on her face..... :D Try cropping in a bit, and then lifting the exposure/level/brightness/fill (as appropritae for whatever program you use) on the whole shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    I'm far more bothered by the distractions at the top of the frame than the shading on her face..... :D Try cropping in a bit, and then lifting the exposure/level/brightness/fill (as appropritae for whatever program you use) on the whole shot thumb.gif

I agree fully. Try not to chop off the feet as in picture 2, the man ends up strange in the bottom corners of the picture. Try to avoid busy backgrounds (top picture 2).
    Picture 1, is a nice compo..
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    I'm not as concerned about the second shot. The money shot is number one. I'm testing some skin smoothing and color correction techniques from Skin v2 as I've never ever settled on one technique for some reason and I'm trying to cure that for sake of consistency. The second one didn't even get the skin smoothing treatment.

Does the first one look too plasticy? I did the entire photo in one layer for the sking smoothing where I've previously done different layers for different exposed body parts as some need more smoothing that others. I think I did a decent job on it, but that's just my opinion. The hand under the chin looks like it lost a bit of detail, but that's probably due to the brightness from the light as well. I was trying to balance it with an f/2.8 aperture, daylight, and the flash.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.