lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    damn.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Excellent. Liar, liar - pants on fire......
    Rags
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 14, 2011
    Amazing shot. Back story? ear.gif
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Great shot, Richard. Bravo!
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Iconic! That's an awesome shot.

And a little frightening, since you were in FRONT of the police line, which can often be a very dangerous place during protests.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    A Keeper ylsuper.gif

Glad, You Lied :D
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 14, 2011
    one of the best photos I've seen! Very well done clap.gif

(however - it seems a bit muddy. what were your settings?)

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    That's a GREAT shot....

How do you take shots like this without fear of being 'part of the crowd' and being plowed over should they decide to start moving? I've always wondered about how one does this....
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I will write a full blog post later, once I handle some "work stuff" and eat etc. (only 4 hours of sleep...) but generally I DO want to keep safe :-) So initially I made sure to hang out with the pro newspeople with their LIVE video cameras, figuring that if they started teargassing, they would shoot the pros last?!!

But yes, this is the first time I had a police line walking right toward me...
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Always good to see images with a little bit of testicular fortitude involved. Forgive the one-sided reference ladies.
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Excellent shot indeed! I don't think this one could have turned out better even if you set up the scene yourself. Very well done.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    More photos and a blog post here:
    http://www.richardmanphoto.com/blog/?p=3143

I went to Oakland at around 3:45PM. There was tension in the air for sure, but even more so, there was a sense of anticipation. As the police had served the encamped 3 eviction notices (which the protesters promptly tore up), people expected the police to come. The ustream TV #OakFoSho was doing his live streaming again, but now with a Sony digital camcorder with Nightshot capability. We waited and by 5AM the police started to march in.
    For anyone who had not lived through the 60s, seeing tens of police in riot gear marching toward you is quite an experience. I took a quick look at the four routes (we were at a corner intersection of Broadway and 14th) and noticed that two were wide open, so I trusted that the police were there mainly to clear the encampment and not to arrest everybody (like they did with the Brooklyn Bridge protesters a month or so ago). As the police got REALLY close, I moved to the network newspeople, assuming that if they were to start shooting, they might think twice about shooting network news people.
    Fortunately, soon it was apparent that they were only interested in “clearing the camp,” and the protesters on the street resumed their chanting and drumming, while some of them attempted to talk to or otherwise engage the police.
    About an hour and half later. The bulk of the “support police” left, but he end of the story is yet to be written.

Selected ones:

20111114-L1007970-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1007986-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008004-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008073-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008177-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008237-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008009-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008273-Edit.jpg

20111114-L1008319.jpg

20111114-L1008322-Edit.jpg
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    A really outstanding initial photo, followed up by a terrific series. All-in-all, your work here has given me the best feel for these protests than I've gotten from any other source. EXCELLENT.clap.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Fantastic!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Excellent series well shot.

#1 is iconic (Tianamin Sq. like), looking almost staged with the protestor sitting on "Turn".

One of the things that impressed me in the series, was the restraint of the police

What a rich environment for a photog
    Rags
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Excellent series well shot.

#1 is iconic (Tianamin Sq. like), looking almost staged with the protestor sitting on "Turn".

One of the things that impressed me in the series, was the restraint of the police

What a rich environment for a photog

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    First image is excellent. I don't get the title. Who lied? You? The police? The occupy people? What was the lie?

Sam
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    First image is excellent. I don't get the title. Who lied? You? The police? The occupy people? What was the lie?

Sam

He had put up a post a day or so earlier, saying this would be his last, then he put up this one.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Hi Sam,Ben is correct - I was ready to work on other projects and posted a photo on the thread "My Last street photo for awhile," and then the raid happened...

Rags, yes, the police acted with professionalism. Any time there is a line of raid police standing two feet from you could be a recipe for disaster. I read the situation as "they are here just to clear the camp" rather than "shoot and arrest everybody" so I stayed. I could have read wrong though of course.

And yes, the Protest is an environment rich for practicing PJ/street photo, the opportunities are there.