Options

Becoming Bat Mitzvah

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 15, 2011 in People
After a journey of 12+ years, it was time for my daughter to become a Bat Mitzvah this past weekend. We traveled back to Austin where she and a dear friend shared this day. I was wise enough to not be the event photographer and being members at a Conservative Synagogue, there are no photos taken on the day of her service. But, undeterred, I did have my camera for a couple of moments during the process.

1. She read at her school the Thursday before we left.
i-LmtFjKg-XL.jpg

2. We had a run-through to make sure that everyone knew the choreography of the day. My daughter and her friend when we had a little moment to exhale when we finished.
i-45dHs4C-XL.jpg

3. My young adult. The service complete. She led prayers with spirit and proficiency; and shared insightful thoughts based on her Torah portion. It is now time to have a great celebration of her transition into young adulthood. Before we left, two shots of my young adult:
i-ZJc5CDV-XL.jpg

and a frame-filler...
i-KnXnngp-XL.jpg

And now waiting patiently for our photographer to start sending some teasers :D
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    I feel sorry for your photographer.....he is going to have to go some to beat these :).
    You did a great job with these.
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    You must be very proud. She has certainly become a beautiful young adult. #3 is stellar! Congratulations to your whole family on this wonderful occasion.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    I feel sorry for your photographer.....he is going to have to go some to beat these :).
    You did a great job with these.

Thanks, Zoomer!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    You must be very proud. She has certainly become a beautiful young adult. #3 is stellar! Congratulations to your whole family on this wonderful occasion.

Just a little proud...mwink.gif

Thank you!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

She looks beautiful and I'm sure she did a wonderful job! Congratulations to your lovely young lady, and you as parents.

Oh yeah, and the photos are pretty darned gorgeous, too :)
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    "I feel sorry for your photographer.....he is going to have to go some to beat these :).
    You did a great job with these."

Exactly what I was thinking! Wow, your pics are stunning!
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Diva & John, Thank you.
    She really showed both great spirit and maturity. Definitely a proud papa. :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    3 and 4 are killer!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    3 and 4 are killer!
    Thanks, Daniel.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Mazel Tov to you and your family!! I've been awaiting these photos.

She looks beautiful and confident. I sure she did a wonderful job. Great photos, but #4 is excellent. I was wondering if you would travel back for this event.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Mazel Tov to you and your family!! I've been awaiting these photos.

She looks beautiful and confident. I sure she did a wonderful job. Great photos, but #4 is excellent. I was wondering if you would travel back for this event.
    Thanks, Mitchell.

Her friend is dyslexic and was terrified of having to fly solo for the Bat Mitzvah. Mychaella was happy to share the day, and given the large amount of common friends it made sense from a logicistics point as well. Mychaella was her first friend when they moved to Texas before first grade, so they've known each other for the past 6+ years.

Had we not been paired, I don't think we could have pulled off going back. The logicistics would have been a killer.

Still waiting for some teaser frames... It is killing me :D Our photographer had an 11/11/11 wedding the day before (right after she did some formals and candids at our run-through), another Bat Mitzvah afternoon reception at the Temple on Saturday PM, our evening event, another Sunday event (can't remember if was Race for the Cure or a Wedding), and then a Sunday night Gala.... I'm sure she is processing her buns off right now...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    What a wonderful "back story" to the event, Andrew. The pictures show something special, but what you're describing is such a testament to family, friends and community spirit that it makes it even more meaningful. And yeah, KILLER shots. Your professional photographer is going to have to go some considerable distance to top what you got! Clearly "turning Nikon" agrees with you ;)
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    What a wonderful "back story" to the event, Andrew. The pictures show something special, but what you're describing is such a testament to family, friends and community spirit that it makes it even more meaningful. And yeah, KILLER shots. Your professional photographer is going to have to go some considerable distance to top what you got! Clearly "turning Nikon" agrees with you ;)

Thanks!

They are really special friends. When her friend spoke at services, she talked about her dyslexia, and how her mom pushed her and her school to not let it be an excuse. Many tears... Last set of standardized tests, she was in the 'commendation' level which means she score very high. She is one of those kids who really has worked hard for her academic success.

Nothing to do with the change in technology. The tech-shift was purely ergonomics. I do think the Sigma 85 f/1.4 is a bit nicer than the Canon 85 f/1.8 I had, but either would have produced great results. The main problems in shifting technology have been: rotation direction for the bayonet mount; rotation direction on zoom; and in the rare case of using flash w/ A(v) mode, that the exposure bias also biases the flash exposure bias (now all the more reason to never use flash in anything other than manual...)
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    iloveyou.gif

How's she doing with the move back East - has that been a tough transition? I guess having the Bat Mitzvah to look forward to in Austin probably helped some and moving is soooo much easier now with skype and facebook than it used to be since you can keep in touch even if you're somewhere else.

Ah, you're using the Sigma! I've been semi-lusting after that for a while, although not enough to do anythingabout it; the 85 1.8 and 135L cover most of my needs. I'm still sobbing over having missed your 5dII, though, which is really what I need and want more than anything - at the time you sold it, I had just had to have the clutch on my car replaced and was still waiting on news about some gigs. (The gigs did come through... but I wasn't sure that would be the case at the time!) Ah well - it'll happen in time.

And despite everything, I DO think there is a different look to Nikon shots - the system does something with the higlights in eyes, particularly, that I've always liked. That's not to say Canon isn't great too, but I consistently find myself drawn to eyes in Nikon shots (different shooters, so I'm pretty sure it's the gear rather than the user). I've just shot Canon for so long (my film gear was Canon) that I feel completely at sea every time I pick up a Nikon camera - it's all I can figure out how to switch it on and change shutter/aperture!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    She is fitting right in. Enjoying her new school cohort and overall quite happy. She gets to see her cousins and grandparents a bunch more now as well, so that's a plus.

Getting used to differences is the hard part. The zoom thing has been really frustrating when shooting sports! In time...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Nice shots although different in style and topic. The first one is kind of a reporter shot, the others more fashion and glamour. Light and DOF are well under control. Good job !
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Nice shots although different in style and topic. The first one is kind of a reporter shot, the others more fashion and glamour. Light and DOF are well under control. Good job !

Thanks!
    Yes, the first was definitely a PJ shot. She was actively reading from the Torah...

Second was a grab-n-grin type shot after they finished their run-through. No flash, no find the perfect spot; just "hey girls..."

Last two were pick the spot (within the 5 minutes I had to take the shots) and used my flash bounced off the wall/ceiling from on-camera. Used my hand to partly flag the light from too much forward spill.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited November 15, 2011
    Some very nice photographs of what is obviously a very important day. Job well done and congratulations to your daughter and her friend thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Sheesh....3 and 4 are stellar!thumb.gif

Congrats to you all. Reaching such milestones sure make us proud....but....I know it stings a little to realize they are growing up so fast.

Keep shooting!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2011
    Ian, thank you. Very important.
    Jeff, thanks. Doesn't seem like 12+ years since we named her...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site