On The Fence With This One - Opinion Please

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited November 18, 2011 in People
As part of a budget senior session, this young man wanted something "edgy" to give as a wallet to his hockey buddies along with the standard yearbook pose. This is one of the poses I did with that in mind. It's odd, one time I look at it I kind of like it and then I'll walk away for a bit and come back and not like it. Then in a few mins I like it again.

This was shot straight jpg so there ain't a whole bunch I can do with it. Thoughts, keeper or no.

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Do you have one where his chin is more jutted out, more aggressive. This doesn't scream "tough guy" to me.
    It is ok....any other candidates?
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Do you have one where his chin is more jutted out, more aggressive. This doesn't scream "tough guy" to me.

Yeah, to be perfectly honest this screams more: "Hey, what's up babe, I play hockey."
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    I like the lighting. What if you grit it up a bit. Add some grain & contrast.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    tosser, it took mew afew seconds to realize what he was doing. expression is not there..not very will lit or processed
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Maybe that's what is bothering me...
    Yeah, to be perfectly honest this screams more: "Hey, what's up babe, I play hockey."
    Good point...but then again, rink bunnies can be fun...

You and zoomer may be on to something here...
    Icebear wrote: »
    I like the lighting. What if you grit it up a bit. Add some grain & contrast.
    I will indeed try that with the above image.

I liked this one a bit more, but the other one was the only one I took without a helmet. Does this give you a better "tough guy" feeling?
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    I like how the stick goes out the frame in the left corner. Seems more balanced that way. ...and like the helmet better. Without he sorta has helmet hair.

Might try adding some grain etc with this one. Maybe even like a slight bit of fade with the graphic pen in PhotoShop? Just a thought..
    edited November 15, 2011
    I like the last one better but, same non aggressive qualities. Also do not like the skin work...for a guy.
  • cupiccupic Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    IMHO maybe combining 2 shots together.One with the stick point in focus and layered to another with the face in focus.Also maybe erase/smooth the crease under chin.Can work
    with both of the shots above

cheers
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Here's the deal and excuse me if I'm too blunt. It's not your camera work... I don't think this kid screams tough. More boy band than anything. Nice looking kid, he just doesn't send any badass vibes.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Nice shot and composition, I just would have added some more roughness to it. A grain might help, but it would even be better if the boy would pose as such. Maybe some war stripes on the face ?
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 16, 2011
    I had to look at it for several seconds to figure out that he was holding a hockey stick, since the shot doesn't show enough stick for the instant awareness. That, and his expression doesn't scream enough attitude for holding the stick that way. So pardon me for saying it, but the pic fails to deliver what you probably intended to set up.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 16, 2011
    Everybody has good points here, but the kid is who he is. He wants this pix to hand out to his hockey buddies. They all know him and who he is. They would instantly identify it as a hockey shot. As a stand alone image with no context, your points have validity, but I think either would serve the kid for what he wants. No, he ain't Gordie Howe. thumb.gif
    John :
    edited November 16, 2011
    lol... and he isn't gonna grow stubble anytime soon either. mwink.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I think a little Topaz-like pp on this would help a lot. You might get a grittier look which would toughen him up a bit. I prefer #2.
    edited November 16, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I think a little Topaz-like pp on this would help a lot. You might get a grittier look which would toughen him up a bit. I prefer #2.

Good idea..rougher skin not smoother.

Black and white high contrast add some grain = tough guy.
    edited November 16, 2011
    Thanks to all for your ideas and input!

I think the grittiness issue was what was bothering me. Unfortunately, no matter what expression I got from this kid, he is never going to look like Stu Grimson or Marty McSorley. But, if you looked at pictures of Wayne Gretzky or Steve Yzerman when they first came into the league, they would have been more likely to be cast as Wally Cleaver (appearance wise) than that of a NHL player. Especially among non hockey fans.

I'm not sure what Topaz adjust is, but this is a little PP I did with the high pass filter and adding a little grain. I know it's never going to be a magazine ad with a hockey theme, but hopefully he and his mom will feel they got their 20.00 worth!

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am quite a bit more pleased with this result than I was when the image started.
    edited November 16, 2011
    There ya go! Nice one!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    better
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    For the fun of it try cropping out the stick and (no pun intended) stick with the face. I find the stick distracting.
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Much better,,,
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
    edited November 16, 2011
    There ya go! $20.00?!?!? I'd say they sure got more than their money's worth.
    John :
    edited November 18, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    For the fun of it try cropping out the stick and (no pun intended) stick with the face. I find the stick distracting.

I already have several other shots with just the face. He really wanted something with him looking down the shaft of the stick. Just trying to make the lad happy here.
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Much better,,,
    Thanks!
    Icebear wrote: »
    There ya go! $20.00?!?!? I'd say they sure got more than their money's worth.
    That's me, making friends, not money! Really, what started out as a simple head shot, in normal clothes so he'd have a picture in the yearbook, kind of evolved into a full blown shoot. No matter, I have s soft spot for hockey players. With the amount of money that sport has cost his parents over the years, they need to catch a break somewhere. Things are really tough in the Detroit area right now.

Here's a little composite I played with... Thoughts?
  • divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I know I am little late to the party on this and definitely not a pro but....

As a former high-school hockey player, I really like the original you posted. I understand minimum quality standards, the rules, etc but, imho, this pic really says proud hockey player. Other than the red mark on his forehead/temple from his helmet, I think he would be very happy to share that original with his friends. As a local pro I am training with has said numerous times, we can't get so caught up on the technical that we lose sight of the fact we are paid to give clients what they want.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom