6348583369_9447da5f94.jpg

6349331564_ac770425e1.jpg

6348578437_02366492d0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Hey doob,

It's really nice to meet someone from Auckland. Looking at your Flickr stream, it's my impression that you're just getting used to street shooting. These three images, as well as the ones I've seen are a start, but I'd suggest spending more time thinking subject and composition. Subject face forward, or sidelong with some form of subject interaction or juxtaposition. I've spent a lot of time in Auckland and it isn't a very densely populated place. Basically, it's going to be hard to get much experience in crowds or other situations where cameras will be ignored.

So, I'm going to be bold and suggest that you work within your core group of friends and family. Take a ton of candid, unexpected shots with them. Post them here. They might get irritated with it (hopefully not) but it's training and I'm guessing you'll need the thickened skin to get back on Queens Street or into one of the villages and get close.

I don't have many good, non-family, shots in Auckland, but I'll post a few to share in kind. You've got some good stuff in your stream and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Jenn
  • Options
    doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    thanks for the reply.

yea i've recently tried to get into street shooting. i'm finding it quite hard to be a ninja and dont have the balls to shoot candid. as you've said, there just isnt enough volume here in auckland to blend in to take shots.

i might do as you've suggested and take photos of friends and family. please do share your shots here.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Welcome to the forum and to street shooting. You are following the path that many of us have taken by quickly snapping strangers in the street, trying not to be noticed (or punched in the face). To improve means acquiring a mindset that will make you comfortable (or strategies to fool the public).

Your setting in the first two will probably work. Start with becoming part of the environment. Find an interesting and busy spot and stay there. Anyone noticing you will initially glance at you then tune you out. Periodically lift your camera and look thoughtful. If they look at you, swivel away like they are not your subject or take it down and just look away.

Or find another approach. Act like a tourist and snap away like everything is the most fascinating thing you have seen.

Or start with a woman in high heels that can't outrun you... ne_nau.gif

And find a street festival, farmer's market, etc. where cameras are everywhere and you improve your comfort level.

It is a fun and fascinating genre of photography and I encourage you to keep at it!

(BTW, I am surprised that the young have NBA jerseys on... It is common in the US, but surprises overseas).
  • Options
    doobdoob Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    yea i guess i just have to shoot more in that environment. will keep you guys' tips in mind. theres a parade this weekend. perfect setup.

NBA isnt that uncommon outside of US. i'm more surprise they are wearing it 'off-season' :D