Options

A few images for your amusement

CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited November 18, 2011 in People
RT46iUNH

O2jC0JvL

31YaQzgf

I have been developing a technique to add texture, dimension and a little more feeling in general to my images. In fact, I like what I am doing with my images so much that I don't think I will be processing my images any other way from here on.

Your comments... Pro or con are welcome...

Cowboydoug
I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
www.iWasThereToo.com

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Its all about taste, solarization is not my thing . In fact its a filter that can by found with NIK software and others. So all by all nothing special in that way. But if you like it, so be it . And that is what it is all about. Working for people is another story, some might like this and others not. It might be nice for a few shots but soon it might become dull to look at it.

Now back to the pictures themselves, great shots . Nice Screenfilling, good compositions and a nice capture of those people. I really would like to see them with the effect.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    I've never used Nik but was looking at their sharpener recently... I'll have to check it out.
    No solarization here...
    Yeah... I get what you mean about becoming dull... That's what has happened to most images... Same ole, same ole. I just want a little fun in my images... Photography & digital art. And I really like it when my cash register goes Ka-Ching... (ok...so it doesn't really make that sound... But I do have a (THaT Was Easy Button)...lol

Thanks for your comments
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    For me personally I find the processing too much, but that's a personal opinion and if you like the results that is what counts :) The second photo of the sleeping girl curled up on the man's lap is a lovely capture and my favorite of the series.
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    I'm trying to think of what I am 1st... A photographer or a salesman... And The answer is, YES...
    So far I have had great success with over processing...
    The images poster here stand well on their own without the over processing but I just can't help myself... I love it...lol

Thanks all for your input... Keep it coming and try to think outside the box... Maybe you can show these to others who are not photographers to get their take... Would you do that for me?

OUBfSBD6

kl2OII17

sGLJb9f6

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Nik filters really work with the last one. Try to take the fellow in the background out for a really great shot.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Nik filters really work with the last one. Try to take the fellow in the background out for a really great shot.

Which NIK filters... ?
    I'm always interested in trying something new... NIK seems to have a lot of stuff... not sure which to try.

As for the background fix... Yeah, I agree... and it's a simple fix... just need to do it...

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Which NIK filters... ?
    I'm always interested in trying something new... NIK seems to have a lot of stuff... not sure which to try.

As for the background fix... Yeah, I agree... and it's a simple fix... just need to do it...

Doug, If you like it so much the better. It is all a matter of taste and one can not discuss taste.
    I have to say that the last picture is really nice.clap.gif and the manipulation is just right.... Well done.
    I am sure that there is a market for it....

NIK http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/index.php?view=intro%2Fmain.shtml
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Doug, if you didn't use any filters you did a very nice job with your processing. It seems as if you used Nik's Color Effects pro or even the filters from Topaz's Adjust. The Topaz's Adjust 5 just came out and is affordable.

All the effects and filters you see on the market can basically be done with photoshop skills but it is much easier to hit a tab and let it go.
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Your last image ROCKS!
    I like the processing. I see your having the same problem with "halo-ing" in the wagon shot! Kinda hard to get around....
    Nice series of images!
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    The last photo you've posted, the one of the man holding the hat and stick, I like very much. The processing doesn't look over-done to me and it works well on this subject.
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    It looks crazy over-processed to me. Just my humble opinion.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Agreed with all posters above.. the only image I would be happy with, should these have been mine, is the very last one.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    They're more like animations than photos, but I dig them. It would be nice (in my opinion) if you could get rid of some of the halos, but they're only over-processed if you were trying to make them look like photos (which I take it, you aren't). Keep at it!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2011
    And the winner is Hackbone... Yes I am using Adjust... I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to add your input here. I appreciate your frankness and i continue to invite your dialog. I am working to refine a photograph/illustration/caricature into my images... and yes, I do process the heck out of them... even to the point of over doing it... A lot... haha ... Is it for everyone? I think so... Having said that... we as photographers, myself included, look at our photographs as photographs and if it doesn't look like a photograph, well then it ain't...lol For me though, something has always been missing... I like animated stuff... caricatures... but I can't draw a straight line to save my life. :) I started playing around with Topaz and viola. (that's pronounced Wah La) for those of you in LA) hehe... I come from a photojournalistic background and try to incorporate that into my images... I love candids the best. Capturing... or what I call (Kidnapping) people doing what they are doing without concern of me and my camera hanging around, it's the best. So when i stumbled upon this process it was as though the lights went on and I was home... Anyway... I can't stop....lol I am working to create a Norman Rockwell look... and hey, if any of you have any ideas...well pass them on... So far...my clients seem to love this stuff... they keep saying wow... As for Halo's... yeah, I got halo's... dang-it... but now that 5 is out I can remove them easily... thank goodness... I have seen NIK software mentioned in here a few times... I have never used it but it seems I should check it out... Which is it? I'm going to post 1 more image here,,, it is of 4 people... and over processed.....lol It looks great as a normal photo but when I see it processed... it just makes me smile.

kids-N-Gram.jpg?w=3af0433b

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and explains why even velvet paintings of Jesus and dogs playing poker sold copies.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2011
    I know... maybe I am retarded....

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com