Dare To Enter

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited November 20, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I'm not going in. There's got to be people in there with chain saws and ice picks waiting on you.

old-school-003-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Well, maybe not chain saws and ice picks, but bed bugs and needles, at the least! rolleyes1.gif

Excellent capture! thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Cool shadows. I like the diagonals.
    Anybody can do it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I'll go in there with you :D

I agree .. the shadows are neat in this photo. I'm willing to go in and up the stairs, but going towards the right has me a little worried.

Nice photo Tom thumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Well, maybe not chain saws and ice picks, but bed bugs and needles, at the least! rolleyes1.gif

Excellent capture! thumb.gif

:D

Don

Well....bed bugs and needles is still enough to keep me out.:D

Thanks for the comment, Don.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited November 17, 2011
    wfeller wrote: »
    Cool shadows. I like the diagonals.

Thanks, Walter. The shadows attracted me as well.

Take care,

Tom
    edited November 17, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I'll go in there with you :D

I agree .. the shadows are neat in this photo. I'm willing to go in and up the stairs, but going towards the right has me a little worried.

Nice photo Tom thumb.gif

Well, Mary.....that's being pretty brave. Especially so since I'm fairly certain that the screams I heard were coming from the second floor.:hide

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Well, Mary.....that's being pretty brave. Especially so since I'm fairly certain that the screams I heard were coming from the second floor.:hide

Tom

Changed my mind rolleyes1.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 17, 2011
    I like the composition and shadows a lot, but I would deepen the blacks a tiny bit to get a little more pop. Although the color is good, the light and shadow might be more dramatic in B&W, dunno. Well seen and captured. thumb.gif
    edited November 17, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I like the composition and shadows a lot, but I would deepen the blacks a tiny bit to get a little more pop. Although the color is good, the light and shadow might be more dramatic in B&W, dunno. Well seen and captured. thumb.gif

As usual, Richard, I really appreciate your comments. Your take on deepening the blacks plays to a really interesting situation in this case. I have a new monitor.....21 inch LG. I've never had a monitor before that is so sensitive to just a couple of degrees difference in vertical viewing....meaning tilting the monitor either toward or away from you can dramatically lighten or darken the image. I can't over-emphasize what a difference even the smallest adjustment can make. I can change the tilt of this monitor away from me....as little as perhaps 3 degrees....and the interior of the entry ( showing the stairs ) goes damn near solid black....you can't even see the second stage of the stairs.

I'd be real interested to find out if you see a big difference on your monitor if you adjust the tilt...particularly away from you. Anyone else may chime in as well. It will help me find the optimum position for my monitor so that my PP work will be constant.

Thanks again, Richard, for looking in.

Tom
    edited November 17, 2011
    Yeah, I work on a laptop and I have to remember to adjust the tilt of the screen for proper viewing. Nevertheless, you should keep an eye on the histogram when you are adjusting luminosity. The image as posted hardly has any pixels at all below an RGB value of 25, which usually means the black point needs to be raised if you want to take advantage of the full tonal range. This one requires a little extra care, since you don't want to obscure what detail there is in the stairwell.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    the light and shadow might be more dramatic in B&W, dunno. Well seen and captured. thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gifNice shot, but make a stab at a B&W conversion. I think it will pop even more.
    Chris
    edited November 17, 2011
    This is the rendering that was intended to be posted initally.

old-school-003-X2.jpg
    edited November 17, 2011
    Yeah, I work on a laptop and I have to remember to adjust the tilt of the screen for proper viewing. Nevertheless, you should keep an eye on the histogram when you are adjusting luminosity. The image as posted hardly has any pixels at all below an RGB value of 25, which usually means the black point needs to be raised if you want to take advantage of the full tonal range. This one requires a little extra care, since you don't want to obscure what detail there is in the stairwell.

The revised shot shows just the look I was after. I wanted the stairwell much darker....even accepting some loss of detail there...because, to me, it presents a much more foreboding and ominous situation. I guess a high degree of subjectivity comes into play on that point. Again, all your comments are greatly appreciated.
    edited November 17, 2011
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gifNice shot, but make a stab at a B&W conversion. I think it will pop even more.

Thanks for commenting, Chris. Richard has sent me a PM with a nice conversion he generated. I'm not much into B&W but I admit this scene responds very well to that approach. Richard is free to post his effort here if he is interested in doing so.

Thanks again,

Tom
    edited November 17, 2011
    Here's the quick conversion I sent Tom:

i-xWNG6Gv-XL.jpg

I kind of like it, but Tom's second color posting also has more pop than the one he posted first. ne_nau.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Doors and stairs. Love seeing them together. Your second rendition is wonderful. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 17, 2011
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Doors and stairs. Love seeing them together. Your second rendition is wonderful. thumb.gif

Thanks, Lee. I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks to Richard's comments, I adjusted my monitor viewing angle and posted the rendition of the shot that had a much more favorable black-point emphasis, resulting, in this case, in a picture with considerably more " pop ".

Tom
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Tom, the repost is fantastic...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

I really like the subject and the second rendering. Just enough fade-out going up the stairs.

Welcome to the screwy world of super sensitive monitor angles thumb.gifeek7.giflol4
    Randy
    edited November 19, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Tom, the repost is fantastic...

It's good to hear from you, Andrew. Thanks for the comment.

I'll be heading up to Boone, NC, for Christmas.....time to get a dose of God's country.

Tom
    edited November 19, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

I really like the subject and the second rendering. Just enough fade-out going up the stairs.

Welcome to the screwy world of super sensitive monitor angles thumb.gifeek7.giflol4

I can't wait until you get back home, do your PP work, and treat us to some special stuff. Not that I'm trying to put you under any pressure, though.:nah

You guys...and Tater...be careful out there,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Put lotsa pressure on Randy--I wanna see some Wells stuff! :D

Tom, I do like B&W but in this case the color works best for me. Nice catch--I love doors and stairs too.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 20, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Put lotsa pressure on Randy--I wanna see some Wells stuff! :D

Tom, I do like B&W but in this case the color works best for me. Nice catch--I love doors and stairs too.

Thanks, Lauren, for commenting.

You know, those tough old Texans can take a lot of heat....and old Randy is about as trail-bitten tough as they come. But don't count this old Florida Cracker out. He's in my sights and he knows it.:rambo

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I'm sure he's quaking in his old, worn Ropers! lol3.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    It's good to hear from you, Andrew. Thanks for the comment.

I'll be heading up to Boone, NC, for Christmas.....time to get a dose of God's country.

Tom

Enjoy!! We drove up there for the day back in October. Gorgeous area. We will probably have to go back in the winter to visit some snow... :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site