Options

First Maternity Shoot

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited December 8, 2011 in People
To follow on from my first shoot in a proper studio which took place a few weeks ago, I've now done my first maternity shoot. Not so hi tech this time, just 2 x Canon 580 flash guns and shoot through umbrellas. Didn't always shoot 2 lights, there were a few with just a single.

Would love to know your thoughts and advice for next time out. I was really struggling for ideas, you know what it's like, you look at things online then when it comes to putting it into practise your mind goes blank. I know I've done too many with the same hand pose of mum so will look at more options in the future.

Tasha-and-Bump-0001.jpg

Tasha-and-Bump-0002.jpg

Tasha-and-Bump-0003.jpg

Tasha-and-Bump-0005.jpg

Tasha-and-Bump-0006.jpg

Tasha-and-Bump-0007.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    Ok, how do I start.... The pictures are technically very well made. However they are very traditional. The hart on the belly , hands holding the belly etc...... all been done a thousand times. So did I.
    Try to seek anther approach and that is not easy.
    Never the less, I am sure that the owners will be very pleased with them as they have an emotional bond with the pictures. I do not get that emotion by looking at the pictures, and that should be the intend or not ? Maybe I am just and old silly man....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    A thing to consider is the target viewer. In showing us here on dgrin, sure we've likely seen and done it before, but I'm certain that the couple will absolutely love these, and will never notice how "normal" they might seem to a photographer. Nice work!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    coldclimb wrote: »
    A thing to consider is the target viewer. In showing us here on dgrin, sure we've likely seen and done it before, but I'm certain that the couple will absolutely love these, and will never notice how "normal" they might seem to a photographer. Nice work!

Thank you for stating this. I see on here quite a bit how things have been done over and over but that is coming from other photographers. The client may see it differently...and often does.

I recently found a great location and shot 14 families in 3 weeks there. Using many of the same poses and ideas for each family. The families loved their photos! Worked out great and I made good money from it. Nothing wrong with using a proven method as long as you don't get stuck in a rut.

With that said...I like your photos in this set. I would like to see more of the people and the emotions on their faces. I personally dislike the heart as well but I have families specifically ask for it...hey, they are the boss and help pay the bills!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the advice and comments, I will certainly try to mix things up next time out but for a first time I'm happy with playing it safe and getting the basics in the bag to keep the customer happy :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.