Yay or Nay.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited November 25, 2011 in Landscapes
This is a Busy photo.
I played with it for what seemed like forever and just could not get the colors where I wanted them....still a work in progress.
So I hit it with some Topaz.

Kinda crazy looking processing....but I have to admit....it looks pretty cool really big.

Too much....or an interesting look??

950D709809-2newtopazedited-1.jpg

Comments

• IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    A bit overprocessed for my tastes, but then again, if it were a painting, I'd say it was wonderful. Beautiful composition, and the colors did turn out very nice. So I guess my only complaint is that it doesn't look like a photograph anymore, but I otherwise find it very pleasing to look at, which is really the ultimate goal of art, so I'll just go with a well done on this one.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    This is a tough one. My first impression was NO! Second impression, maybe. Third I wonder how this would look at say 40 X 60 on canvas?

sam
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks for the great feedback, pretty much the same things that I was thinking. On my 24" monitor it really does look cool with all that detail...just because it IS so busy.

I normally like to stay true to the scene...which is why I am conflicted over this one.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    I love it, but then I start to find it a bit too cartoony. Quite an awesome pic, but maybe just overly processed?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 17, 2011
    Needs more saturation, and no I'm not joking. Try it and see what you think. If you're going for surreal, then go all the way. mwink.gif

Amazing location that I recognize from a previous shot of yours.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Unfortunately the location is better than I am ha.

I hear you kdog...I actually did tone it down from the original effect...I will go revisit that.
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    i think it looks good - a bit overprocessed but its not that much which can cause the picture to fail.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    i'm not a fan of 'overcooked' HDR images, and this one's no exception. but at 40x60, it might look entirely different, especially if you hit it with one of the artistic filters in Photoshop...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    This is a tough one. My first impression was NO! Second impression, maybe. Third I wonder how this would look at say 40 X 60 on canvas?

sam

My reactions went through the same chain as Sam's. If I were going to show this image, I'd call it digital art and it would probably find some buyers.

Jerry
  • PhotoGUY123PhotoGUY123 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    I am wondering if a Black and White conversion wouldn't be a solution to the issue of too much color. I think there are times when color images need less processing and converted to black and white. The image above has many contrasting shapes; the mountains, clouds, and river rocks. I'd really be interested in seeing this image in Black and White.
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I'd like to see another version of this without the HDR. It just looks to cartoony for me. The elements all all there. Just need to work on the processing to keep things real IMO.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Lol, that was my exact thoughts. On a large canvas, it would be inspiring imo.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Try a dip in midtone contrast and see how it works out, its a good image just a little too much for my taste. When it comes down to it, yes, large would look better, but that's because you're able to look at small parts of the photo and search the photo :)
  • Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I really like the shot, but since you asked, it's a little overdone for me.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    for me it is just too crunchy, meaning too much details. There is very little in the way of shadow or contrast which I believe would really help this comp. I seems to be showing detail where you would not see it in real life, like behind the underside of a rock. I thinks compositionally it is just fine as you have a lot of interest in the foreground including a cool reflection.