Off the Cuff Portrait

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited November 18, 2011 in People
I have bought a 40d which has unfortunately gone off to Santa...but not before I took a few "snaps" to try it out while at my camera club. Had my 50mm f1.8on. Also playing with mono etc. in Nik SilverFX Pro.

Camera Canon EOS 40D
Exposure 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 500

Your thoughts on this:
6351882170_5a8e3ab7de_b.jpg
Tim at PCC mono by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

And the colour version...needed some WB due to interior lights...

6351137101_e109662555_b.jpg
Tim at PCC by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Cheers

Comments

• D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Oke, Compo is very tied and central. I would try to give him a bit more space or crop more.
    Before converting to B&W, I always try to get the color image right with as much variation in the light intensity as possible.
    The reason is simple, B&W conversion is mainly based on the light intensity. If one does not make sure that the color version has that distinct difference between darks and lights the B&W will be rater gray as we see here.

Greets
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Oke, Compo is very tied and central. I would try to give him a bit more space or crop more.
    Before converting to B&W, I always try to get the color image right with as much variation in the light intensity as possible.
    The reason is simple, B&W conversion is mainly based on the light intensity. If one does not make sure that the color version has that distinct difference between darks and lights the B&W will be rater gray as we see here.

Greets

Yes, composition wasn't the first thing I looked at. And I understand what you mean about the colour/B&W thing...I'll watch for that next time. Cheers.