USF Men's Basketball Game

FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited November 19, 2011 in Sports
This was my first time shooting a basketball game. I was using a Nikon D3100, Nikon 70-200 f 2.8 VR I, ISO 3200, shutter speed 1/500 and 1/640

The lighting in the arena was crap so I was forced to up my ISO to 3200.

Here are some of my pictures of the game

6353417443_700b5bf056_b.jpg
Tip off by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6353428323_fbc0079826_b.jpg
Making a 3 pointer by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6353463885_a8f64606f8_b.jpg
Fastbreak by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

4. (this one got published in our school newspaper)

6353474683_795fcdb3d1_b.jpg
Published photo by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6354651861_bc71cf8bc1_b.jpg
Making a jump shot by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr

6353486847_0478f340df_b.jpg
Shooting a 3 Pointer by Blue Moon Originals, on Flickr
Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals

Comments

• photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Good action shots. Where you shooting manual or Aperture priority?
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Good action shots. Where you shooting manual or Aperture priority?

Thank you, full manual
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    You really need to crop in much tigher on many of these. I think #5 turned out quite well. Good action, and good interaction between players (conflict is always more interesting), but it would be better if you cropped in a little tighter. Good job overall, though. Indoor sports are tough to shoot. . .poor lighting, often tough to move around the court. . .always a challenge.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    You have some nice action here. But there are several issues that keep the shots from being better:
    1) framed way too loosely. I disagree slightly with the above poster - you don't want to crop heavily when shooting at high ISOs you need to frame more tightly IN CAMERA.

2) shots are under exposed. FACES are what matter - the faces are too much in shadow

3) white balance is off. Set a custom WB and that will help greatly.

For a first time shooting basketball you did well. 2 of the above (WB and exposure) are very quick fixes for next shoot. Being comfortable framing tightly will take more experience.
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Next time I shoot a basketball game I am going to take into account to slightly overexpose my images.
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    You have some nice action here. But there are several issues that keep the shots from being better:
    1) framed way too loosely. I disagree slightly with the above poster - you don't want to crop heavily when shooting at high ISOs you need to frame more tightly IN CAMERA.

2) shots are under exposed. FACES are what matter - the faces are too much in shadow

3) white balance is off. Set a custom WB and that will help greatly.

For a first time shooting basketball you did well. 2 of the above (WB and exposure) are very quick fixes for next shoot. Being comfortable framing tightly will take more experience.

Agree with you on #1, but since he's already shot the photo, it's a little too late to re-frame. Obviously, you're going to better maintain image quality, especially at high ISOs by framing tighter, but unless it's a still image, I know I still almost always have to crop the image even further in PP. But I am glad you pointed out that you should first shoot tighter. That's probably what I should have led with.
    Next time I shoot a basketball game I am going to take into account to slightly overexpose my images.

As for "overexposing", it may be a bit of semantics, but you don't want to overexpose. You want to expose correctly. One of the nice things about indoor sports is unless the court is lit very unevenly, it's very easy to dial in a good exposure and just leave it there (i.e. shoot in manual). Even if it is unevenly lit, I'll usually just make a mental note of what shutter speed I want to use at the far ends of the court, where sometimes it's a little darker. Depending on the range of tones, I may expose a little further to the right than the gray card is telling me, but that's not to be confused with overexposing, where you're now losing detail in your highlights, which will be very apparent in shots like this.