28-70L for 5D Mark II?

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited November 18, 2011 in Cameras
Hey guys,

My friend wants a general zoom for his 5D Mark II. Under $1000, preferably well under that. It'll be used in a relatively dark environment (ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/125th), so I'm thinking it should be f/2.8 (although the 5DII ISO performance is so good...). Portraits, group shots, action, just general walkaround stuff. New equipment would be preferred, but he can buy used from stores (Adorama, KEH, and the like - but probably not from individuals). The 28-70L sounds good. Wondering if there are any other lenses to consider? The 28-80L would be nice (esp. the price), but it's f4 on the end, and it's going to be used in a dark environment. Maybe that would work, with the 5DII's ISO performance being what it is? Or would the 28-70 f/2.8L be better?

Are there any other lenses worth considering? It's full frame, so the 17-5x 2.8 options won't work.

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    The 28-70L sounds good.
    Do you mean the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM?
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Honestly 1 stop won't make a huge difference with the MKII. I shoot low light all the time with a 70-200 F4/L, and I have a 28-70 F2.8 that I almost never put on because the IS is more valuable than the 1 stop of extra freeze frame. It only goes on when I absolutely need a wider shot than the 50mm prime I own.

This is a good lens too. Since I don't use wide angle enough to warrant spending ~$1000 on a 24-70, I just spent $300 on one of these. IQ is very good, but focusing in low light isn't quite as good as the 24-70L, but not at all disappointing. Since I don't care about that, it works perfectly for me, and maybe he'd like it too.

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-zoom/tokina/at-x-270-af-pro-ii-28-70mm-f-2-6-2-8/prd_84294_3128crx.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokina-AT-X-AF-PRO-28-70mm-f-2-8-Canon-EF-Hoya-UV-Filter-/290632587387?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43ab0d587b
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    The 24-70 f/2.8L USM is out of his price range. I was talking about the 28-70 f/2.8L USM, which was replaced by the current 24-70. The even older 28-80 f/2.8-4L USM lens was also an option.

KEH has the older L lenses. I didn't mean the 24-105, that's a thought - maybe an f4 lens with IS? Would IS work for portraits?
    edited November 17, 2011
    I edited my post, lol. Check the lens I posted. It's the perfect performance per dollar for what he's wanting. Yes, IS will work for portraits but if you take a series of quick shots while moving the lens and stopping to shoot it takes a split second for it to re-stabilize. I found that out the hard way doing a panorama with the 70-200L firing shots off too soon after doing sudden move/stops in sequence. I'd turn it off if he's doing a portrait shoot with a flash or controlled lighting.

*Oh uh one thing I should mention about the Tokina is that switching between AF/MF is a 2-step process. It's easy enough, but not as fast as just flicking the switch. If that's a deal breaker I'd try to find a used 24-105 or 28-70, although I'm pretty sure the 28-70's can get pricey since they're still great glass.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks! How's the AF speed in good light? Is it available new anywhere?
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    The 28-70 is a great, rugged (L!) lens, but it's just not nearly sharp enough to give you the full 21 megapixels' resolution from the 5D mk2. But it sounds like sharpness isn't the main concern here; if you're shooting photojournalism in low light then the 28-70 will probably deliver enough sharpness.

Personally though, I'd rather have a couple primes. 28 1.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4... That'd cost a little more than $1000, but in the long run it's a great kit...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks! How's the AF speed in good light? Is it available new anywhere?

In good light I'd estimate that it's around %80-100 as fast as the 24-105L lens I used. Certainly isn't a $600-900 advantage in AF speed rolleyes1.gif

I'll post you a sample soon so you can see it's sharpness. This is a discontinued lens, so no, it can't be bought new. I got lucky and got one from a photographer for $300 that took REALLY good care of his. It looks like it was bought yesterday :D

If you friend doesn't mind swapping lenses, primes like neil suggests are a great way to go, but it sounds like your friend wants simplicity and flexibility.
    edited November 18, 2011
    Here's a full-res shot from the MKII: PHOTO LINK

I'd recommend right clicking and "Save As" instead of just clicking it. This is SOOC with .5 pixel at %75 unsharp mask in camera RAW, JPEG at 8 quality. The outside has some focal plane falloff but it performs MUCH better than any copy of the 24-105 that I've used. 24-105 is on my blacklist until I can find a good copy, lol.

This was a very bleak day, mostly overcast, 1/125@F8@ISO 200