Stairway

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited November 20, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Criticism is always welcome.

Stairway-1000x1000.jpg

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Interesting play on the shadows on the wall. It seems a little busy or confusing to me, though.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 18, 2011
    Excellent capture, Cornflake. clap.gif Great interplay of line, light and shadow. It might benefit from a little more contrast.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Thanks, Snowgirl. It is somewhat confusing, for better or worse, but I kind of like the fact that the viewer has some sorting out to do.

Richard, thanks. Your comment's interesting because I went back and forth on contrast. This version has a low-opacity contrast mask. I finally decided that I liked this better than the higher-contrast version. In light of your comment, I may go back and forth some more. :D
  • PhotoGUY123PhotoGUY123 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    It does take some sorting out to find the subject of this image. Is the main subject the shadow of the stairway or the stairway itself? A thought is to make the shadow of the stairway the main subject and crop out as much as possible the stairway. I am sure it would take more processing and a very close crop of the image to get only the shadow, though it may make a less busy image stronger.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 18, 2011
    It does take some sorting out to find the subject of this image. Is the main subject the shadow of the stairway or the stairway itself? A thought is to make the shadow of the stairway the main subject and crop out as much as possible the stairway. I am sure it would take more processing and a very close crop of the image to get only the shadow, though it may make a less busy image stronger.
    Why does it have to be one or the other? For me, the interplay between the stairway and its shadow is what makes this image interesting.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Why does it have to be one or the other? For me, the interplay between the stairway and its shadow is what makes this image interesting.

15524779-Ti.gif : thumb

The gestalt is what works here! :D

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited November 18, 2011
    PhotoGUY, Don, thanks for commenting.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    I love this one thumb.gif Lines are one of my favorite things to look at and this one is full of them. Really like how my eyes get fooled.
  • SpotzoSpotzo Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I really like this shot... It has a lot of visual interest to it.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Nice one, Don. I think most good shots of this ilk play to a lot of interpretations and responses....and that's certainly the case here. It works for me. Well done.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Very nice, for the same reasons Richard and Tom gave. I like it.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 20, 2011
    Mary, Spotzo, Tom, Lee, thanks very much.