Link for monitor gamma calibration

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited October 24, 2005 in Finishing School
I have not been happy with the on board gamma calibrator & started searching & used this one off the net.

It did wonders for me so just thought i'd share the site. With digitals this is as critical as your gear IMO.

Gus

Comments

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I'd suggest that a calibrator like GretagMacbeth's EyeOne would be a lot more useful.

That one doesn't really tell you what gamma you SHOULD be using.

I'm on a Mac, and was having issues with prints being too dark. Standard Mac Gamma is 1.8. The Gretag re-set me at 2.2 and did a whole lot of other tweaks to remove color cast. Now what I see on the screen is MUCH closer to what I get on output (of course I need to use the right paper profiles, and set up printing in CS2 appropriately). But I waste a lot less paper now :-)
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I have to agree with CatOne. It looks like the classic CRT calibration methods. Which may not relate to LCDs (or at least I remember reading that many visual pattern calibrators like Adobe Gamma and the like did not model LCD behavior properly).

If monitor calibration is as critical as the gear, and it is, then you must use a hardware calibrator.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Yep CRT & it worked beautifully on my machine.