Options

Owls

eyedigloveeyediglove Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2011 in Wildlife
I've got a general location of a great horned owl near me. I've seen it (them) on several ocassions but not gotten a clear shot yet. Do you have any tips for night time shooting. I've tried, but focus is an issue. I think if they are active (vocal) I can find them at night.

Also, how can I find their nest?

Comments

• Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2011
    You don't need to shoot at night, just search the area and look at the base of the trees for their leavings, bones hair etc. Once you find their roost you will be able to photograph during the day. Be careful not to disturb them too much and you will be able to get shots of the babies as they fledge. They are the first to breed and will have the young ones in a few months. Read up on the habits before you go out it would be a shame for you to disturb them [using a flash for instance!!!] and make them do something drastic because of your presence. Also here is a tip for you- on foggy days they will hunt well into the morning giving you some great shots. Post some pics if you are successful.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    eyedigloveeyediglove Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2011
    I got one shot in near focus this morning. I will try to attach it. Is this an immature Great Horned Owl?