HS Basketball Last Night with Strobes

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited November 21, 2011 in Sports
We started a new tradition at our high school this season to kick off the BB season called the Cross Town - Throw Down. It alternates locations each year with our chief in town rival. Last night we had a skills contest, 3 point contest and a dunk contest with the boys teams competing. After the boys competed, the staffs of the two high schools competed in a game. Wow, these teachers/coaches/admin guys took the game very seriously. It was physical with a lot of contact. Our principal fouled out of the game. The skills were really pretty good.

There are still some shadow issues. I am tinkering with different positions for my strobes to minimize shadows.

Here are a few shots from the event.

Shot #1 - I thought I would include this shot for a comparison on how the flash freezes the action. You can see blur in this shot. My strobes were at the opposite end of the court and this shot on the far end of mid-court. My strobes were really targeting the opposite end foul line and were not reaching this far out and you can see how the flash didn't freeze the action.
MTD66282-L.jpg

Shot #2 - a 6'9" foreign exchange student we have this season from Canary Islands in the dunk contest
MTD67472-L.jpg

Shot #3 - a 6'9" foreign exchange student we have this season from Canary Islands in the dunk contest
MTD67792-L.jpg

Shot #4 - One of the teachers at the school throwin' it down
MTD68372-L.jpg

Shot #5 - Another teacher
MTD69682-L.jpg

Shot #6 - This is a shot of our defensive approach to the game.
MTD68842-L.jpg

Shot #7
MTD68822-L.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    They all seem good. Honestly the only thing I try not to get shadows of at this point with games are people (in the stands) blocking my lights or backboards or other implements not in use. Those are the worst! Other than that, with the constant movement and action of basketball it's almost impossible unless lights are mounted in the rafters to get completely shadowless basketball. I personally like a little shadow here and there to give it some depth and just not be completely flat.
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    The lighting looks good to me. I don't see anything wrong with a little blur to show motion.