Options

Letter K

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
edited November 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
So, I would love some opinions/feedback on these, if anyone can help me out here:
#1 Kris Kringle Kaleidoscope
i-74hSBhz-XL.jpg
#2 Kris Kringle Kaleidoscope
i-tb4b4Qg-XL.jpg
#3 Knife Kaleidoscope
i-G4D5tgL-XL.jpg

Thanks! Kate
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Wow! I really love #3! Color and comp is awesome... and you've got a 2nd "K".
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    These are great!! Very imaginative - awesome idea & execution. I like #1 best - seems like there is less separation, like it's coming together instead of moving apart, maybe it's just that there's more white showing in #2. I also like #3, but it doesn't say K as much because it's silent!! ;) Actually, I don't think the knives are as distinguishable, although it looks like an awesome shield or wall hanging.

I have to ask - how did you do these?
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Bringing the kaleidoscope idea to the challenge is awesome. The lighting and technique in all of them is strong but the Kringle ones seem cluttered/distracting to me. The knife one really makes me think of a medieval castle wall hanging. Nice work.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited November 19, 2011
    Great idea! I like the idea of the Kris Kringle Kaleidoscope but found it hard to look at - because there's so much happening there! #3 on the other hand, pulled me right in, offering plenty to look at and appreciate.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    #3 is very cool, I find 1 and 2 too busy. I can not figure out how or what you did in this photo. The Kaleidoscope effect is more obvious with 1 and 2. #3 is different.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    #3 without a doubt - GREAT concept, well executed. thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I actually like the third one the best, too; but I worked so much longer and harder on the santa ornament photos. The knives I just threw down and took a snapshot!
    I searched the web for a tutorial on making kaleidoscopes using photoshop, and this is the one that I followed....I found it the easiest to understand. :D

http://www.scrappersguide.com/tutorial_019.html
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    This is so cool I too find 3 the most appealing. Now I am going to have to look up that same effect you inspired me to an idea with the grandkids
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/