Dss 90 - L is for dance?!?

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited November 28, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
A quick question - is there a way to change your username, specifically the capitalization of it? Mine, lkbart, looks to many like ikbart (if the I were capitalized), but if I could change it to Lkbart it would be more obvious that it's an L instead of an I. Just curious :)

Anyway, Kansas Dance Festival was this weekend, so my thoughts went to Leaps, Lines, Lifts & Legs. I know dance photos don't go over that well in the challenges, but it's something I enjoy, so here they are:

1. Leaps, Legs, Lifts & Lines
IMG3828-M.jpg
2. Legs, Lines & Looks
IMG3556-M.jpg
3. Leaning Lines & Lifts
IMG4566-M.jpg
4. Lines, Legs, Leaps & Lifts
IMG4546-M.jpg
5. Leapin' Lizards!
IMG3888-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    What I see is dance not the things you point out, now a close up of LEGS would be good eek7.gif not just because I am a leg man or anything like that ne_nau.gifrolleyes
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    You sure have got the alliteration down! To me, these are beautiful shots, but without the title, I never would have thought "L."
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I agree with the others... without a title "L" isn't where you'd go with any of these. Although they are beatutiful shots. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I really like #1, maybe cropping the light off the right and a bit off the left, as well? Square? Really, to me it looks like all arms and legs...can you call it LIMBS? It's a beautiful shot in tricky lighting.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited November 20, 2011
    Lovely shots here! For an "L" entry I'd be interested in seeing #1 cropped at the sides or #5 more tightly cropped (top, bottom, and a bit at the sides). #1 definitely says "lifting" to me and #5 says "leaping". In #5, I played with covering up the stage entirely and then showing just a little to emphasis the leaps. The others are good shots but don't seem to line up as well under the letter L.

Good luck!

Gretchen
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Odd girl out - I'm leaning toward #3 if the top was cropped down highlighting the lines and "limbs". GP
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    L for Legs works for me... #5 is my favorite. FYI I Looked at all the profile settings could not see how to Capitalize your First Letter in your Username.... ( but I would like to know how also ) I see GretaPics seems to have figured it out though. ??
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments!! & thanks for the limb suggestion - I looked through the dictionary & missed that one! Here's a few crops & another shot:

1b (crop)
    IMG3828-L.jpg

3b (crop)
    IMG4566-L.jpg
    3c (more crop)
    IMG4566b-L.jpg

5b (crop)
    IMG3888-L.jpg

6. Lavalier Legacy (My grandma misspelled it way back when; should I make the title match the misspelling??)
    IMG4725-L.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I like the cropped images better and feel like it hits your theme better. Now I think for me it would come down to which is sharper. #6 is a nice idea but visually I still prefer the dance images for the theme. GP
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I'm all for the original version of #5. The leaps are great and the wide space around them really emphasizes the height and airiness of the movement. This is the strongest shot in my opinion and the clearest reference to L.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I love dance photos. I like 3b crop as an entry.

Usually a photo should stand alone without it's title. But for this challenge, I wouldn't worry about how well your photo speaks to "L" without the title. It is all about interpretation. If you had posted the photo and told us that it is sponsored by the letter "L", I'm sure everyone would come up with a list of L words.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited November 28, 2011
    I like 5a or 5b best. (I think you could compromise on the crop a bit and give a little more room on the top and right and just a wee bit more at the bottom - but that's just one way it could be done. :D)

I do like the composition of the dance and the shot in 3 - highlighting the drama - but give 5 the edge because of the sharpness and obvious L tie-in with those Leaps.

Did you enter one already? I'll have to go check. If not, I hope you will!

Gretchen