Dare To Follow

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited November 20, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Fort-Clinch-023-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I would wish this to be a bit more in focus, at least near the farthest reaches. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Need to mull this one over a bit.

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I would wish this to be a bit more in focus, at least near the farthest reaches. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Need to mull this one over a bit.

:D

Don

I hear you, brother. Usually, I'm a fanatic about things being in sharp focus. In this case, though, I intentionally blurred the scene to enhance the perception, and trepidations, of being lead into a place you're very uncertain about. The scene will appeal to some.... others, perhaps not.

As always, it's great to hear from you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Tom, I'm thinking a very limited DOF way down in to draw one into the depths! Buah-ha-ha. thumb.gif

Don

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Tom, I love the feeling of motion I got from this photo. The first moment I saw your image - not even all of it, due to it's location on my screen - I felt like I was rushing down a dark hallway in an attempt to escape a stressful situation. I can almost feel myself looking over my shoulder at whatever it is I'm trying to escape. Excellent photo! clap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 20, 2011
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Tom, I love the feeling of motion I got from this photo. The first moment I saw your image - not even all of it, due to it's location on my screen - I felt like I was rushing down a dark hallway in an attempt to escape a stressful situation. I can almost feel myself looking over my shoulder at whatever it is I'm trying to escape. Excellent photo! clap.gif

Thank you very much for your comments, kind sir.

The sense of motion you elude to was a primary effect I wanted to achieve. I also wanted to create a situation in one's mind of extreme concern....perhaps even fear....about where they were and where they were headed.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Tom, I like it and the blur suits it. I'd consider cropping off part of the bottom so it's not as centered vertically. But it's your vision, and it's very cool as is.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    I also think it'd be interesting to see how this would turn out if you actually did run through that hallway, snapping the shutter as you go. Use the same settings. Do it holding the camera away from your eye and see the difference (angle and etc.)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 20, 2011
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    I also think it'd be interesting to see how this would turn out if you actually did run through that hallway, snapping the shutter as you go. Use the same settings. Do it holding the camera away from your eye and see the difference (angle and etc.)

The actuality of this event mirrors very closely what you wonder about. I took this shot deep in the belly of a Civil War era fort....Fort Clinch on Amelia Island, FL. I ended up taking nine exposures of this scene. Two of them were taken as I was stationary, knowing, however, they wouldn't work for me as they had no chance to produce any sense of motion. The other 7 exposures were made as I progressed forward down the tunnel... varying my speed from a slow walk to a very brisk walk. The image here was recorded somewhere between those two speeds.

An interesting story: local lore says this fort is sometimes haunted by soldiers of the past; I'm not a big believer in para-normal occurrences, but, on this occasion, both Darlene and I felt the distinct....and unnerving....presence of someone, or something else, down there with us. Knowing the local lore as I do, perhaps it was the power of suggestion playing on us....maybe it was more than that.

Tom
    edited November 20, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Tom, I like it and the blur suits it. I'd consider cropping off part of the bottom so it's not as centered vertically. But it's your vision, and it's very cool as is.

Thanks, Don, for your input. I looked at all sorts of crops and this one seemed to fit my eye the best....I think mostly because, in reality, the vision ahead of me was exactly centered as I viewed it.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

WOW, that's a wild image, have to say it is kind of frighting
    and has a surreal quality to it.

Very nicely done !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas