Need advice on V-ball pics

petermazpetermaz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 7, 2005 in Sports
Hello all, I am getting ready to shoot the last few games of my daughters Collegiate Volleyball career. I haven't been at it too long and would really appreciate your thoughts on some of my best so far. I really want to get some great shots before it is all over :cry

35528558-M.jpg
35526321-M.jpg
36813763-M.jpg
36814508-M.jpg

And just for fun...
36814164-M.jpg

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    What you're showing there are already pretty darn good, IMHO. You've a faster lens or much more light than I've seen in a gym - on my laptop anyway they almost look too bright if that's possible. Good action capture, and good emotion/intensity on the faces especially in #1 & 3. I don't know that there's much I could say to improve upon them.

(btw, the last one really confused me for a few seconds :D)
  • petermazpetermaz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    What you're showing there are already pretty darn good, IMHO. You've a faster lens or much more light than I've seen in a gym - on my laptop anyway they almost look too bright if that's possible. Good action capture, and good emotion/intensity on the faces especially in #1 & 3. I don't know that there's much I could say to improve upon them.

(btw, the last one really confused me for a few seconds :D)

Thanks Steve, your professional opinion means a lot to me. I am using a Canon 50mm F1.8 on the digital eos rebel xt. I try to shoot at F2.2 around 1/250 or 1/350 iso 800. I am having a hard time creating a monitor calibration, that I know will give me good results when printed or viewed by others, so I may have over-exposed them when processing the raw images. I'll try too watch out for that in the future.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    well, get some other opinions too before making any changes, this laptop's 1)not calibrated at all and 2)a "briteview" which often shows images way lighter than any other monitor especially the CRTs around me.
  • petermazpetermaz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    well, get some other opinions too before making any changes, this laptop's 1)not calibrated at all and 2)a "briteview" which often shows images way lighter than any other monitor especially the CRTs around me.

Will do, thanks again.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    I agree on both parts, that they are already great and I'm sure your daughter loves them and also that they seem too bright. Maybe try dropping the ISO or at least the exposure. The players look good but the whites, especialy the walls look blown. But other than that I think you should keep up the good work.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • kfsinckfsinc Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2005
    Looking good from here also!

I've been trying to get some good shots of my daughters also -- both play, one in high school, and one at Clemson -- where is your daughter? One of the key ingredients seems to be the lighting in the gym -- most places won't let you use flash :cry.

One suggestion: remember to take non-action shots -- time outs, net talk, warm-ups, crowd shots. Lots of good shots that don't require high shutter speed. I usualy 'push' my ISO to 1250 or 1600.

Take a look at www.prepvolleyball.com and www.arcticferret.com for good volleyball pics and info.

Here's a link with some good suggestions http://www.arcticferret.us/clubpicinfo.htm

Hope her team does well!

kfs

PS -- nOOb question: How did you shoot the tripple exposure shot? In the camera? -- very cool!! thumb.gif
  • BaumannBaumann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2005
    Since you've got a Rebel XT ( that's the 350, yes?) - you should be able to push the ISO to 1600 without having to worry about to much in the noise area, should you wish to - not that you need to from what I see here -
    You've got a minor handicap with the 50mm-1.8, - While it's a sharp lens, it's slow to focus- so you may wish to prefocus. Also Be careful when shooting toward the net - the autofocus on the rebel can get confused by it - as it can by the white uniforms if that's what the ladies are playing in - not because they are white, but because of the low contrast across the uniform.

Shot #1 could have been improved a tad had you shot in portrait mode - this was a set for a spike? The ball in frame would have made it just a little more powerful.

Don't know how much freedom you have to move, but watch your backgrounds too - #3 is a good shot, the concentration on the face, the ball blur is great... but it would be a great shot if you didn't have that person sitting in a folding chair in the background.