Mermaid on the rocks

WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited November 22, 2011 in People
I shot these a few weekends ago and I'm still working through all the images as we manged quite a few "keepers".

I had so most fun on this shoot, possibly the most fun I've had with a camera invloved - it was an awesome day and I had a blast - even after slipping on the rocks and falling flat on my back right at the start of the day.

The images are a mix of natural light, natural with some fill, and strobe as the main light balanced with natural.

Lenses - Pentax 645 gear, mostly the new 2.8/55 and some with the 4/120 Macro on the 645D

The tail is a creation from the folks at Pretty Pervy and it comes up to her waist, it's been combined with a latex bodysuit from my collection with the zipper and seams cloned out - other than that there's very little post production work.

The mermaid is a good friend of mine from work who I've talked into modelling for me.

And a few more ....
Warped wrote: »
And a few more ....
If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
www.warped-photography.com

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Fun set and cute idea. But, correct me if I'm wrong here, aren't mermaids supposed to be topless? :D
  • WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    Fun set and cute idea. But, correct me if I'm wrong here, aren't mermaids supposed to be topless? :D

lol - that would have given the teenage boys who stopped to watch for a while a much more interesting morning than they bargained for!
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Cute, I like 3 , 4 because of the pose and composition

1-2 are very frontal and on the last one the facial expresssion is not that flattering.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I dont like 4 and 5 because they look like you can tell there is legs under that latex, I like the 1 and 2, 3 because it looks like the tail is one piece not showing legs (knees) like in 4 and 5. nice job on the first three. with three being my fav.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I think there's potential here but I don't see it in these images. Can't put my finger on it. I'm a big fan of fetish photography (just a fan -- I suck at shooting fetish photos so take this post with a grain of salt). First photographer who popped into mind after seeing your pics was Emma Delves Broughton. Check out her work. She often shoots outdoor fetish/latex photos but they seem to have a lot more pop than your images. Again, just my two cents.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I'm with Pete here, I just don't see it.

#1, seems just... Soft.. for a better word. Coming from a 645 the image should have some sharpness to it and this one does not. I would also either slow the shutter down (probably having to use a ND) to get a nicer stream of water or speed it up to get drops of water,, this just doesn't do anything for me. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the lighting. I like to see subjects lit a little brighter than the ambient so the ambient is at least 2/3 stop under the subject if not more.

#2, Not enough light on the face, again, "softness" comes to mind and the color just looks weird to me and not a fan at off of that brown crap in front of her... ick

#3, 4, better of the set, but still like Pete can't put my finger on it..

#5 - light on her face is too hard. Looks like you speed lit it directly with no diffusion.. just gives her a freaky/hard look when you think Mermaid you think beauty/softness which this image just doesn't say to me.

FYI, I'm not trying to be an a$$ with my critiques.. I just speak my mind a little too straightforwardly. :)

#3,