Options

Has anyone had experience with Samys.com?

MolsondogMolsondog Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in Flea Market
Samy's

Comments

• Options
    zoom2zoomzoom2zoom Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Molsondog wrote:
    Samy's has a lens I want (Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR). B&H and Adorama are out of stock. Samy's web site indicates they have it. Has anyone dealt with them? Reliable? I'm spoiled by B&H.

Thanks for your comments.
    I have bought many items including D2X, 200 f2 VR, and other gears from Samys on the west coast, and they are legit and professional.

good luck,
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Usually when I buy from Samy's it's when I walk into the store. I have bought a couple of odds and ends from them online. They are the B&H of Los Angeles.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Another plug for them. A good shop, friendly on the phone, good prices.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Best big shop on the west coats far and away. Never ordered online, but always go into their store. Big stock, and will always scavenge their 4 or so other stores for whatever you need.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I bought my 400/5.6 from them in person and they still gave me the online price. Most other items I want online do not have a price and I have to call anyway. Also they do not update their site the minute something sells so if it is a rare item in demand you may not get it. Best to call. They are very friendly and you may get stuck talking fun photography with them!
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Samy's [is] the B&H of Los Angeles.
    That's great, as long as you live outside of CA ... or don't mind paying nearly a 10% premium for the ability to touch & feel before buying.

Since I live in Northern CA, I end up ordering from B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, which saves me 8.25% sales tax. If you don't live in NY or CA, you have lots more choices for no-sales-tax buying!

Re reputability of online stores -- you can always check http://www.ResellerRatings.com for accurate info/feedback. If a retailer is shady, it shows up right away in its ratings and comments on that site.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    photobug wrote:
    That's great, as long as you live outside of CA ... or don't mind paying nearly a 10% premium for the ability to touch & feel before buying.

Since I live in Northern CA, I end up ordering from B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, which saves me 8.25% sales tax. If you don't live in NY or CA, you have lots more choices for no-sales-tax buying!

Re reputability of online stores -- you can always check http://www.ResellerRatings.com for accurate info/feedback. If a retailer is shady, it shows up right away in its ratings and comments on that site.

I just meant they're the big, professional, go-to store.

And if you're paying your taxes correctly, there's no such thing as tax free...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops