Options

Filters Canon v B & W v Hoya

OzrockratOzrockrat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 25, 2005 in Cameras
Not trying to start a bun fight here but I am buying a few UV filters for new lens. I was going with Canon UV-1 filters but a couple of suppliers suggested (didn't stock Canon) B&W or Hoya at widely varying prices.

Are the canon filters any good?

What are the benefits of the (3 times the price) B&W filters.

Thanks in advance
Bevan

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    B+W are sturdy,solid, made of brass and are less likely to get stuck on your lens. It's what I own.

That being said, I only would use Circular Polarizers and Neutral Density filters.

UV only when you are in a situation and there is blowing sand, water, or such. Use the lens hood to protect your lens.
  • Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Here is a good summary of what makes a filter more expensive than another, and how it can affect a picture:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=15315064

I don't know much myself about Canon filters (the one Canon optical device that I own is a 77mm Canon 500Dclose-up lens . And it is quite a hunk of glass iloveyou.gif ). I know Hoya's and Nikon's to be very good, but B&W and Heliopan are still considered the best of the best because they fullfil better than any other make the demanding list of requirements listed in the link above.

Thierry
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I use Heliopan consistently. I used to get whatever filter I could and I would have a different brand on each lens. Not saying that there are color differences in the filters, but why take that chance?
  • Options
    OzrockratOzrockrat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Thanks guys

Looks like the wallet will take another hit rolleyes1.gif

COmbination of hood protection / polarizer / good UV filter changed to suit the shooting conditions seems to be the way I will go.