Options

mvi converter?

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 24, 2011 in Video
Can someone please direct me to a good converter as all of my video files from my 5d2 cant be used on windows moviemaker. Need to convert them to Avi or Wmv files. I am using vista 32bit on an old laptop. Can anyone here help me please?
Kind regards
Patrick:D

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited November 21, 2011
    I moved this to the Action forum, where we discuss things of a video nature (other than SmugMug video support.)

First, I implore you not to use Windows MovieMaker. MovieMaker is an affront to serious video production and creates more problems than it solves.

Second, if you are talking about the full-HD video that a Canon 5D MKII can provide, 1080p30, realize that an older computer is not a viable candidate for processing HD video. Compared to DV video, full-HD video has around 6 times the resolution, but it also has a more complicated codec, meaning that it takes around 8 times more computer to process full-HD as compared to DV video.

I recommend at least a 4-core computer processor, with at least 4GB RAM, at least a 500GB hard drive and a video card with a multi-core GPU. This will also mean 64-bit processor and 64 bit operating system to manage the extra RAM.

For software I recommend either Corel VideoStudio X4 (which I have) or Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD. I beleiev that both are capable of handling the video files from a Canon 5D MKII natively.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    For conversions, try MPEG Streamclip.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    For conversions, try MPEG Streamclip.

Thanks for the link. Until i can afford a new computer this worked a treat.

Kind regards
    Patrick.:D