Options

Civil War Heavy Metal

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
edited November 24, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Fort Clinch is one of the best-preserved Civil War forts in the country. It's located at the very northern-most point in coastal Florida....at the tip of Amelia Island. The construction of the fort began in 1847 and it functioned as an active fort throughout the Civil War and during the following Seminole Indian wars. The body of water you see in these pictures is the mouth of the St. Mary's River as it dumps into the Atlantic Ocean. The far shoreline you see is Georgia.

1. These cannon are 10" smooth-bore models. They were the main defensive guns of the fort. They could fire three different primary projectiles:
A. a 120 lb. solid metal ball for an effective range of about one mile
B. a 94 lb. hollow ball, stuffed with explosives ( had a wick ), out to about 1 1/2 to 2 miles
C. a 98 lb. conical-shaped projectile ( looked more like a modern shell ) that exploded on impact. It
could throw this round out to a distance of about 3 to 3 1/2 miles.

Fort-Clinch-016-X2.jpg

Fort-Clinch-019-X2.jpg

Fort-Clinch-066-X2.jpg

Fort-Clinch-055-X2.jpg

This smaller cannon is not seen very frequently....the restoration on this one is outstanding

Fort-Clinch-044-X2.jpg

A view of the Quartermaster room

Fort-Clinch-069-X2.jpg

Some implements of the time in the tool room

Fort-Clinch-071-X2.jpg

Fort-Clinch-021-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Very nice, Tom! I'm fascinated by these old forts and armaments - thanks for sharing these, and for the history lesson as well!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! I'm fascinated by these old forts and armaments - thanks for sharing these, and for the history lesson as well!

Hi John,

Like you, I have a very high interest in this kind of stuff. You may notice in the pictures that some gun mounts have no cannons. There are four 15" smooth-bore cannons, currently being restored, that will eventually be placed there. These 15" cannons are monsters....roughly twice the size of those you see, which are no lightweights. The big guys can throw a 300 lb. solid ball approximately 6 miles. I'm not sure what explosive rounds the 15" guns could handle. I can only imagine the noise one of those things made when it fired.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Nice collection of images and great info, Tom. Wonderful history lesson, as always. :D All we have here is the boring ole Alamo. rolleyes1.gif I need to get over your way and get a Civil War fix.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Nice collection of images and great info, Tom. Wonderful history lesson, as always. :D All we have here is the boring ole Alamo. rolleyes1.gif I need to get over your way and get a Civil War fix.

Hi Lauren,

You just gather yourself up and come on over. There are 5 or 6 old forts right around Jacksonville, dating back to the granddaddy of them all.....Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine. That jewel dates back to 1672 and is the oldest European fortification remaining in the nation.

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Very nice captures of a familiar place thumb.gif

The smaller cannon wasn't on display when I was there, it looks cherry!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Very nice captures of a familiar place thumb.gif

The smaller cannon wasn't on display when I was there, it looks cherry!

Hey brother,

I thought about you and your visit here when I was ambling around this place. They have constructed a new visitor center ( adjacent to the old one ) that is quite impressive. They took the old center and enhanced it further as the primary museum facility.

That small cannon and carriage is magnificent. I've seen Civil War cannons of all types and in all kinds of places.....you just don't see many like that one and I've never seen one that was as well restored.

When are you and Teresa getting back home?

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Hey brother,

I thought about you and your visit here when I was ambling around this place. They have constructed a new visitor center ( adjacent to the old one ) that is quite impressive. They took the old center and enhanced it further as the primary museum facility.

That small cannon and carriage is magnificent. I've seen Civil War cannons of all types and in all kinds of places.....you just don't see many like that one and I've never seen one that was as well restored.

When are you and Teresa getting back home?

Tom

You certainly captured the fort very well!

We're back home now. Got chased off our NW destinations due to the rain/snow. Ah well, that's a good enough reason to put the NW on our vacation list again!
    Randy
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Howdy You Rascal,

Wow, what a neat place, another place to put on the List, that seems
    keep growing longer and longer.

Really love the whole series and all the wonderful details.

Hope You and Yours have a Wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy You Rascal,

Wow, what a neat place, another place to put on the List, that seems
    keep growing longer and longer.

Really love the whole series and all the wonderful details.

Hope You and Yours have a Wonderful Thanksgiving.

Darlene and I wish you, KK, and all the others in your family the very best of this Thanksgiving day.

You really would enjoy this old fort. There's a lot I haven't shown. That shot I posted called " Dare To Follow " was shot deep down inside the place.

Take care, my friend,

Tom