Options

One More Time / This is Street Photography

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited November 25, 2011 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    As Robert Capa said: "If your pictures aren't good enough you're not close enough." That applies in this case, Ben. You really needed to be closer.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    As Robert Capa said: "If your pictures aren't good enough you're not close enough." That applies in this case, Ben. You really needed to be closer.

I could not disagree with you more.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    That's always your privilege.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    A little too much dead space on the left for me. Being closer might have helped but I doubt whether the same shot would have been there by the time you'd foot-zoomed. Still, definitely something I'd be happy having captured.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    michswiss wrote: »
    A little too much dead space on the left for me. Being closer might have helped but I doubt whether the same shot would have been there by the time you'd foot-zoomed. Still, definitely something I'd be happy having captured.

Thanks, I might remove/crop a bit and see.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    bfjr wrote: »
    I could not disagree with you more.

Nor could I -? This is a wonderful image. Caps didn't say your photos aren't good enough if you're not close enough. Ths photo is excellent - good composition. Good use of negative space. A stunner of a wtf element, and great reaction from the woman on the right.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,925 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    Please do not feed the statue. lol3.gif

I don't think being closer would have added anything here. We don't need to see greater detail on the shoes. The image works as is, but if you want to make the people larger, a crop could easily be done. I wouldn't bother, though. Nice catch. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Caps didn't say your photos aren't good enough if you're not close enough.

What he said was: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." You could look it up BD. Of course, he was talking about war, not about weirdness.

As far as the framing of the picture is concerned, I stand by what I said, but opinions may vary, and, obviously, do.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    Great capture Ben

I agree with Richard on this one in the "WTF" moment which is only enhanced by the emptiness of the photo. The fact that there are only two people in all that space, and presumably the "character" is not aware of the presence of the lady on the right makes one wonder more about what "he" was up to.

However, that's not to say that an entirely different image could be realized with creative cropping, rendering a very different emotion. thumb.gif

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I agree with Ben completely. This shot, at the distance it was taken and all that it encompasses, is spot on. Wonderful image....superbly executed.clap.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Tremendous shot! Or as Liz once stated, "I wish I had taken this one!"
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Nor could I -? This is a wonderful image. Caps didn't say your photos aren't good enough if you're not close enough. Ths photo is excellent - good composition. Good use of negative space. A stunner of a wtf element, and great reaction from the woman on the right.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    Please do not feed the statue. lol3.gif

I don't think being closer would have added anything here. We don't need to see greater detail on the shoes. The image works as is, but if you want to make the people larger, a crop could easily be done. I wouldn't bother, though. Nice catch. thumb.gif
    RSL wrote: »
    What he said was: "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." You could look it up BD. Of course, he was talking about war, not about weirdness.

As far as the framing of the picture is concerned, I stand by what I said, but opinions may vary, and, obviously, do.
    Angelo wrote: »
    Great capture Ben

I agree with Richard on this one in the "WTF" moment which is only enhanced by the emptiness of the photo. The fact that there are only two people in all that space, and presumably the "character" is not aware of the presence of the lady on the right makes one wonder more about what "he" was up to.

However, that's not to say that an entirely different image could be realized with creative cropping, rendering a very different emotion. thumb.gif

rainbow wrote: »
    Tremendous shot! Or as Liz once stated, "I wish I had taken this one!"

I'm glad to see almost all of you enjoying this image. Yes I did feel strongly about this one when I 1st saw/captured it and was a bit rushed by the lady, I just knew she wasn't going to hold that body language for long. Without her I do not believe the image would of been nearly as strong.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    This time I agree with Russ - move in or crop tighter. I love using negative space (part of the charm of the pano format), but this one the negative space does not add much.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    This time I agree with Russ - move in or crop tighter. I love using negative space (part of the charm of the pano format), but this one the negative space does not add much.

Excellent I did not want Russ to feel alone! :D