Fnally I'm Getting Closer...

rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
edited October 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
To some decent lightning pictures. I have never tried before until the other day when I realised if I put the camera on manual I can open the shutter for up to 15 seconds...woohoo

Then it started pouring rain and my batteries died. So tonight I gave it another go...With at least some sort of a result.
storm018copy_filtered.jpg

storm020copy_filtered.jpg

Not a great view over my back fence and the house behind but hey...Its a start:rofl
www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Nothing Like A Good Storm
    rahmonster wrote:
    To some decent lightning pictures. I have never tried before until the other day when I realised if I put the camera on manual I can open the shutter for up to 15 seconds...woohoo

Then it started pouring rain and my batteries died. So tonight I gave it another go...With at least some sort of a result.

Not a great view over my back fence and the house behind but hey...Its a startrolleyes1.gif
    I love to see a good storm........well not the damage it does but the electical show in the sky....... I haven't seen a decent show for a long time.
    So did your camera recover from getting wet? or did ya save it in time :D
    Thanks for sharing........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I saved it. I was just outside the back door on the deck so all i had to do was turn and dash...I nearly landed on my backside trying to get the still extended tripod legs inside and I stepped on a snail but hey, the camera stayed dryrolleyes1.gif

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    I've yet to get the chance for a lightening shot with my digitals. About 15 years ago, I filmed (VHS Cam) a dry electrical storm that passed by. I used a 1/1000 shutter speed and was absolutely amazed at the footage. I learned a lot about lightening from it (single frame stepping). I've been waiting 15 years for another storm like that, but haven't seen one like it since (captured lightening strike on power sub station).

Location is going to be everything and you may wish to consider doing a little storm chasing for the shots.

Nice shots, thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    yes I intend to go storm chasing one day...I was just happy to end up with anything the first try. Hopefully we get a good storm season this year

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    RH thats a great start thumb.gif It immediatly reminded me of my film lightning stuff. I used to use dads old Practica & put on bulb & hold it on a fence post for ages when i was a kid & the thunder heads would glow like yours. That can be some of the best shots.

It was good to have that distance to see them coming. Here i have to watch them on radar & then look for a safe spot.

We have just finished 4 nights of huge lightning storms & i got nothing at all. For some reason there was low cloud with it everytime. Lots of lightning..they recorded over 1300 hits in 16 mins last mon night & 2 nights ago they said there was 23 000 over about 4 hours. This was between the G/coast & sunshine coast.

Remember...the storm season hasnt started yet !