Options

Three Swimmers

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited November 23, 2011 in People
Had an assignment today for the newspaper. Shoot 3 swimmers.... After huffing all my gear in I realized I didn't have an umbrella adapter and there wasn't enough time to run back to my car and grab one. So I used a 3x5 silver reflector with 2 speedlights shooting into it at an angle. After the first shot I thought the lighting was OK, but wasn't happy with the location... So I took a 3rd light with a full CTB and put it to the left of them.. This is where I really wish I had a 4th pocket wizard as I needed the same to the right of them. Had 2 divers do canonballs into the water. One from the diving board behind them and one from camera right... to create the splash. I really wish I had that 4th light... but until I get more PW.. not happening. :( I know the poses could had been better, but when you're on a quick deadline, sometimes.. the old standard is the one that works. LOL

i-8N63W8J-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I like it. The people in the background on the right could be nixed, but obviously you can't do that for a newspaper photo.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I like the light on the subjects, but this shot could benefit from a more shallow DOF. A step ladder would have helped you get an angle that kept the windows out, also.

I know... hindsight..
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    I like the light on the subjects, but this shot could benefit from a more shallow DOF. A step ladder would have helped you get an angle that kept the windows out, also.

I know... hindsight..

Yup, I completely agree. My near 7ft tall stature didn't help here, even though I usually get to benefit from it. :D I had already kept them 20+ minutes from practice so I didn't want to hold them off anymore. In a perfect world you have more than 5 minutes with a subject.. or at least have a stand-in, but was not the case. :(