1st 20D RAW shot on the new camera...

KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in People
Now that I'm up and running on my new Mac platform, I took the new 20D out over the weekend and this is the first shot I've processed. Shot in RAW & processed with ACR & PSCS2 - also, this is the first RAW shot I've ever worked with. I like the color rendition, but I think the image may be a tad oversharpened around the model's face/hair, perhaps due to the sharpening applied by smugmug???

41303793-L.jpg

Info: Canon 20D + 50mm/1.8, RAW. In post, developed in ACR, minor curves, slight bump in saturation, USM, saved as JPEG.

Cheers,
Kevin K.

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    thumb.gif

Congrats on the new camera :flash
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Hi Kevin,
    I like this shot. Good use of DOF and nice colors. I do see some haloing from sharpening along several lines and her hair blends a bit with the wood support beams. I'm looking forward to seeing more shots. Can't say I though about using the 50mm for portrait work, but this worked really well. Guess I gotta give it a go some time with the 50mm.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    I really like this shot. The windmill adds complimenting interest.

Owen
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    KevinKal wrote:

Info: Canon 20D + 50mm/1.8, RAW. In post, developed in ACR, minor curves, slight bump in saturation, USM, saved as JPEG.

Cheers,
    Kevin K.

nice job, kevin. that lens, this shot, requires very little sharpening. do 1/2 of what you did in post, and then take another lookie.

thumb.gif well done!
  • Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Nice shot. It looks like one of those old Texas windmills in the background.
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    Thanks Gubbs...
    Thank you Gubbs, the new camera is fantastic to work with - so responsive compared to the 717 I'm upgrading from.

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
    edited October 25, 2005
    Higgmeister
    Higgmeister,

Thanks for the comments - I think the haloing is due to too much sharpening, which I'll try and fix by toning down the USM a tad. As for my choice of lens, it's a pretty easy decision when I only have the kit lens & 50/1.8 :D. Can't wait to get my hands on a nice 17-40L though.

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
    edited October 25, 2005
    Owen
    Hi Owen,

Thank you for your comments - I like the look of the windmill in the backround too.

Kevin K.
    edited October 25, 2005
    Hi Andy...
    Howz't Andy,
    I'll cut the sharpening in half and post the results - it's quite interesting to see how flat the image looks straight out of the 20D compared to the 717. Like you mentioned though, if you get the focus right with the 50/1.8 lens it's pretty sharp and only needs a touch of USM.

Thanks,
    Kevin K.
    edited October 25, 2005
    Aviator...
    Hi Aviator,

Quite right, the picture was taken at a vineyard just outside of Fredricksburg, TX - great eye for detail there clap.gif .

Kevin K.