Valparaiso University vs Duquesne Basketball

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited November 25, 2011 in Sports
Shot 2 Valparaiso games over the weekend, Friday vs University of Akron and Sunday vs Duquesne.

I'll say this right off the bat, yes, things could be cropped tighter, and vertical on some of the photos. However, our paper is tabloid format, so Square or Horizontal photos are the ONLY photos that will ever make the cover. In fact the first image was the back cover of today's paper. If you shoot vertical, photo, news & sports editors will make sure you don't shoot a lot of assignments!

i-GQjwFr5-L.jpg

i-ZW9VT8g-L.jpg

3. The only vertical image I submitted (out of 6) for publication.. Lent itself to vertical but would had never made a cover, even though it was used inside the paper, heavily cropped!
i-twqPrxn-L.jpg

4. Damn refs. Great shots foulded up by referee's number 10,501
i-s9PB5WF-L.jpg

5. Valpo Head Coach Bryce Drew leading the team
i-3gxSqzT-L.jpg

6. My "help a photographer out shot." Here is my version of the photo
i-kmmkN2W-L.jpg

and my friend from the competing local paper's shot. He was shooting without flash, ISO 4000. I was shooting obviously with flash, ISO 400.

i-PgdcptB-L.jpg

My lighting diagram:
i-zWwdJbQ-XL.jpg

I only used the 5th to highlight the bench.. It was set to 1/4 power @ 105mm zoom. All of the other lights were 1/4 @ 50mm zoom...

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Great series JimKarczewsk

I did not know about the Square or Horizontal photos are the ONLY photos that will ever make the cover. Congrats on getting the photo that got on the back cover of today's paper. bowdown.gif

I agree about the referee's I shoot some of the college football games in my area and they are always getting in the shot.

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com