Options

Need some opinions on these please...

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited November 25, 2011 in People
So I never do studio with light.
Until this shoot. I have some good photos right out of the camera, but playing with processing....having a hard time getting going.
So just looking for some constructive critique. Here are three different looks. These are the first three I have processing from the shoot.

950D704695-2-copyedited-1.jpg

950D704676-2.jpg

950D704741-2new2edited-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Dude, thumb.gif !!

1) Love this. Lighting has great shadowing and the shapes are fantastic!!
    2) Love! Only minor nit is I think you need a little more space to the right. It would have been great if the shadow didn't crop as much, and her hand had a little more space.
    3) Light is wonderful. The blacks seem clamped on my monitor, but the shading, especially around her face/neck is stellar!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I feel some of your best, very nice.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Zoom...

What can I say... You rocked these like the boss you are! All 3 are great but for me, I love the color. I think the skin tones, the subtle pink of the BG, the overall tonal range gives it so much more dimension than the B&W. I love B&W but color is where it's at with these.

You've shot this gal before. She's powerful... In her physique and movements but she still portrays the essence of femininity. You're quite lucky to be able to work with such a beautiful, graceful and talented woman. Would love to see more.

Btw, did you gel the BG? Also, care to share your setup?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I'm going with the crew here Zoomer. Nothing I can see to nitpick.

Don't worry, I'll be in the studio soon and you'll have epic fails headscratch.gif to C&C. Laughing.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Dude, thumb.gif !!

1) Love this. Lighting has great shadowing and the shapes are fantastic!!
    2) Love! Only minor nit is I think you need a little more space to the right. It would have been great if the shadow didn't crop as much, and her hand had a little more space.
    3) Light is wonderful. The blacks seem clamped on my monitor, but the shading, especially around her face/neck is stellar!!

Thanks!
    I was wondering if that felt tight to anyone else. I may go add in some canvas on 2.
    3 the blacks are Very blocked but to bring them up to provide any detail they start to look gray.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    Zoom...

What can I say... You rocked these like the boss you are! All 3 are great but for me, I love the color. I think the skin tones, the subtle pink of the BG, the overall tonal range gives it so much more dimension than the B&W. I love B&W but color is where it's at with these.

You've shot this gal before. She's powerful... In her physique and movements but she still portrays the essence of femininity. You're quite lucky to be able to work with such a beautiful, graceful and talented woman. Would love to see more.

Btw, did you gel the BG? Also, care to share your setup?

Thanks Hackbone, I know you know your lighting so nice to get a thumbs up from you :).

Thanks, I think I like the color best also...the dancer seems to prefer black and white.
    Yes I am very lucky to shoot her. Katie Ponozzo is her name, and such a pleasure to work with.
    She does a lot of Silks dancing which has made her very strong.
    No gel, I notice the color shift across the canvas as the light source changes does change from off white to pink in the corner..I may choose the background and remove color...just to even it out.
    I shot these on a white seamless (borrowed) and my same one light setup that I use outside.
    I put it almost right above her at an extreme down angle.

I will post more after I finish her photos, these are the first three.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Cool... I think you should leave the color in the BG but thats just me. I must be getting better at reading light setups because it looked like one light to me. Works well here. The white seamless is working real well as a reflector to fill the shadows a bit. Nothing like being able to get such great shots with such a simple setup.

Nice job.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Big ole +1 and bowdown.gif

The one that feels tight to me is #1, but to expand the canvas you'll also have to clone out the shadow which would be a bummer cause the shadow rocks!

On the processing, I like the colour and the toned BW better than the last processing - for this shot I think I want a whiter-white in the BG if the blacks are that strong (does that make sense? I know what i mean, I'm just not expressing it very well....)

You really do amazing shots of your dancers - it's HARD to nail dance shots, and you seem to do it every time!
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    These are fabulous, love them all but think the first one in colour is my particular favorite because of the warm tones which are lost in the B&W conversions.
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    #s 1&2 are my picks, but I'd claim #3 as my own in a heartbeat too. mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Omgosh!!! These are awesome and so is her body...snap! Awesome !
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Zoomer, try an expirement with your one light setup with the white bkg. Aim it down as you normally do then set it perpendicular to the floor and feather it toward the camera. It might alter the light enough onyour bkg to even out the color.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    These are all great!

Number 1 is my pick - it makes you stop and stare.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    VincehVinceh Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    These are fantastic.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Zoom, you shouldn't be a stranger to the studio as these are wonderful. The lighting did a really nice job of capturing the detail of her muscle structure. I too don't care for the clamping on the blacks in number 3 but all are very strong!

Can't wait to see more!