Options

Wedding Composition technique question.

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited November 25, 2011 in Technique
I attended a wedding this weekend. Of course I tried to watch the photographer a little to pick up on anything I could.

One setting that got me curious was the shot of the bride walking down the isle with her father. I believe he was using a 1D series and what looked like a 70-200 lens with no flash. At this point the church had dim lighting, actually i would say it was warm dim lighting.

So my question is, how could he compose a shot of the bride walking down the isle towards him with dim lighting and no flash and still have a shutter speed high enough for it to be a sharp image, especially when there's movement involved?

thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    ISO plain and Simple. It is one of two key reasons I can think of to use a Pro body. The other being AF function.
    tom wise
  • Options
    rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Thank's for the replay guys. That was my first thought, high ISO, but at those settings you guys don't find that that ISO give you WAY to much noise?? I HATE noise.
    Then when I get rid of it, the image gets soft.
    I'll have to wait until we get the pictures around the family to see what was the result but again that was my thought.
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Well that isn't the combination most experienced wedding photographers would use.
    He may have wanted to use the 200 and work his way down to the 70 as they got closer. Probably had IS on the lens.
    Using a camera like the D3s would allow you to do this. Not sure what the Canon equivalent is.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Well that isn't the combination most experienced wedding photographers would use.
    He may have wanted to use the 200 and work his way down to the 70 as they got closer. Probably had IS on the lens.
    Using a camera like the D3s would allow you to do this. Not sure what the Canon equivalent is.

I assume you're talkin lens and not AF/ISO. :)

Canon-Speak from and AF standpoint, then the 1D***s Series. But that 5Dmk2 will def get there in High ISO, but nothing like the D3S. I found my D700 just fine the last ceremony I shot. Just had to bump the ISO a bit: 6400.
    tom wise
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    In a church with 100mm, VR (IS in Canon land), ISO 6400 and f/5.3 you still can have shutter speed of 1/80s. If you open up to f/2.8 you can go even faster than that. Noise, at least with a Nikon D700, is hardly noticeably. The next photo is from my trip to Denmark, no processing (sooc):
    http://svenwarris.smugmug.com/Travel-and-Street-Scenes/City-of-Copenhagen/18840129_DSsVmz#1459981464_WdJJ7pr-XL-LB