Options

Easy way to get rid of lens flare?

PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited November 23, 2011 in Finishing School
I'm just looking for advice on the easiest way to get rid of this lens flare. I really love the top photo, and would love to fix it, even if it takes me all day. While I wait for your advice, I'm going to start going at it with the healing brush, but let me know if there's an easier way!
Howe-Shorrock-4490-L.jpg
Howe-Shorrock-4475-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    My approach would be ...

First, open a blank layer and change blend mode to color . Sample the correct colors (clothing, stones on house) and paint over the flare.

This will change the color but will leave a brighter area were the flare is. To darken those areas, I would burn using a curves adjustment layer.

Quick illustration (should be easy enough with the full-size image):

flarefix.jpg
  • Options
    PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    That's amazing. I'm clearly not very good at this. I understand what you're saying about sampling and painting, but I'm not having much luck with the curves adjustment layer to darken it. Can you give me any more details on how you did that.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Simple way to try is using the clone tool set to darken, select the shirt color you want and go over the brighter area carefully following the lines. 30% opacity, soft edge brush.
    Will take awhile but if you careful will work.
    Peano is a processing wizard and if you can figure out how to use his method that is the way to go for best result.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Pilznr wrote: »
    That's amazing. I'm clearly not very good at this. I understand what you're saying about sampling and painting, but I'm not having much luck with the curves adjustment layer to darken it. Can you give me any more details on how you did that.

I just drag down the middle of the curve, change blend mode to Luminosity, invert the mask (black), and paint with white to burn. Try a soft brush and very low brush opacity (5% to 10%).

You can also burn on a blank layer in soft light mode. Paint with black to darken.

burnde.jpg