1st Game

2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited December 29, 2011 in Sports
Was wide shot, i cropped alot-alot. Untouched otherwise out of camera. Was our old school, horrible light even by gym standards, but im trying...
J. Tuminello
Tuminello Photography

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Nice shot

I see kinda a halo around the players head on the left.
    I makes it look kinda odd.

Take Care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    The other oddity is that the chair with the word 'Rebels' on it and the girl on the bench are in better focus than the players in the foreground.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Good action but your focus is off... as mentioned by John.

I would really try, if you could, to get that flash off the camera as well. You have the start of red-eye on one of the players.. plus on camera flash isn't so flattering for sports. But, I also realize, all that costs $ so you do what you have to until you can get the good stuff. :) An off camera cable might help some.. if you could raise the flash up somehow.
  • 2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments. I am having fits with my new 70-200 getting focus in correct spot. May have to micro adjust im told, but sounds scary.
    Thanks again.
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
    edited November 26, 2011
    What body are you using???
    edited November 26, 2011
    I use 50D
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Are you manually selecting the focus point, or allowing the camera to do it. If it's the latter, micro-focus adjustments won't help the camera pick the correct focus point. If you're manually selecting the focus point, and the focus is still off, a micro-focus adjustment is definitely the way to go. I believe they brought that functionality in with the 50D (my 40D doesn't have it). It's time consuming, but it isn't too horribly difficult. Your camera manual probably does a decent job of explaining it, and if that's still confusing, I'm sure you can find plenty of references on the web that explain it better. Most of the time the difference after the adjustment is barely noticable, and I have a feeling that's not the issue in this case. You can still do the micro adjust, though. It's pretty self critiquing if you mess it up too badly, and then you can just revert to the default.
    edited November 27, 2011
    Thanks islandcrow. I did have manual set focus point to center and top trying to place it over their face during action.
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Well, it could certainly be microfocus. . .then, with action shots, sometimes you just miss.
    edited November 28, 2011
    Is AI Servo an option on the 50D? What focus mode are you using?
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Islandcrow wrote: »
    Are you manually selecting the focus point, or allowing the camera to do it. If it's the latter, micro-focus adjustments won't help the camera pick the correct focus point. If you're manually selecting the focus point, and the focus is still off, a micro-focus adjustment is definitely the way to go. I believe they brought that functionality in with the 50D (my 40D doesn't have it). It's time consuming, but it isn't too horribly difficult. Your camera manual probably does a decent job of explaining it, and if that's still confusing, I'm sure you can find plenty of references on the web that explain it better. Most of the time the difference after the adjustment is barely noticable, and I have a feeling that's not the issue in this case. You can still do the micro adjust, though. It's pretty self critiquing if you mess it up too badly, and then you can just revert to the default.

Seems like a lot of microfocus to me...those players on the bench are in pretty good focus. It looks more like the AF was not in servo mode; either that, or it locked on to the bench and wouldn't let go. In any case, if microfocus is the issue, almost all the shots should be a little off.

Mic
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    Shoot wide open or no more than a stop down, for one. That's going to help you figure out the pics. Have you thought of a bounce flash? Depends on the barn. Looks to me like this is a poorly lit place, which is ever a PITA. Couple thoughts:

1) Monopod - if you don't have one, get one.
    2) Tip/suggestion: go off the side, about even with the basket or a bit more towards baseline. Pre-focus on the basket, then turn OFF the autofocus. Now you're locked into the plane of the basket - and wait until objects some to you. Not at work, feeling icky at home, no samples to offer...
    3) Shoot with both eyes open.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited December 29, 2011
    All I can say is, SKIP THE MONOPOD unless you want to hurt yourself or someone on the team. #1 wa4 I spot NOOB photographers, they have their crappy little kit lens/camera on a monopod, which isn't doing jack sh*t for you. You aren't shooting 1/10 exposures here. Skip the mono. Unless you are shooting with a 300/2.8 and well off the baseline... WELL off..
    edited December 29, 2011
    I appreciate all the help everyone.
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography