Options

New BIF tool

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited November 26, 2011 in Wildlife
I have gone through tripods with balheads, found a good deal on a Wimberly AH-200 gimbal head and Giottos tripod which is rock solid and a dream to use. But I was wanting a tripod for video panning because no matter how carefully i try it is hard to be smooth. I found a a used tripod in a camera store in marin county. Davis Sanborn with a FM-18 fluid head did not do much research on this just stumbled across it and it seemed nice and the price was right. Played with my video and it work like I had hope.
Then i stuck my camera and big lens on it and like the way it handles. took it out and tried it using cable release on the panning bar handle.
Best thing is the amount of keepers I was getting. Tracking was much easier. Now I am not giving up my gimbal head but I was suprised at the results of using this tripod for BIFs and even still shots.
seems to dampen vibrations all around. Cable release never hurts also
DSC2187-L.jpg

DSC1483-L.jpg

DSC2864-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    For tripod/bif stuff I also like using a video head (Libec in my case), but the problem (imo) with all of this type of kit is the minimum height factor - it doesn't allow for really low level shooting.

pp
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    A great tool for long lens ,it does slow you down a bit in an action shots that are a surprise but those 3 shots I will give away for the hours of shooting the Gim gives you . You cannot shoot straight up but how many of those are keepers headscratch.gif But the best thing is the not holding your gear and when you set it up 100% the balance and action you do get is well worth the 4 shots you may have missed :D but the 8 gigs you bring home You forget those few :D
    when I got mine for a year and 1/2 I never shot anything else.
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Looks like the new gear is working well for you Chris. Very nice set of images here.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    A great tool for long lens ,it does slow you down a bit in an action shots that are a surprise but those 3 shots I will give away for the hours of shooting the Gim gives you . You cannot shoot straight up but how many of those are keepers headscratch.gif But the best thing is the not holding your gear and when you set it up 100% the balance and action you do get is well worth the 4 shots you may have missed :D but the 8 gigs you bring home You forget those few :D
    when I got mine for a year and 1/2 I never shot anything else.

I was afraid of slow response also but did not find it a problem. But in the wetland setting I have been using it was ideal for it. Had plenty of time to get on target and start tracking. When the action gets real hot and heavy in a tight area I usually have to shed all tripods and go hand held.
    Definitely not giving up the Gimbal head it is a worthy investment.
    Looks like the new gear is working well for you Chris. Very nice set of images here.

Thanks Dennis.Very happy with the 100.00 investment.
    For tripod/bif stuff I also like using a video head (Libec in my case), but the problem (imo) with all of this type of kit is the minimum height factor - it doesn't allow for really low level shooting.

pp

No it doesnt work well for that, I was really suprised by the effect the fluid head had on the end product
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Chris --- That first shot, especially, looks very nice and sharp to me. --- John
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Wow, Chris, those are terrific images! That new stuff works! Best, Pam