Post-apacolyptic Manhattan

mugsytoddmugsytodd Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited October 26, 2005 in Holy Macro
I took these images in New York City in Inwood Hill Park with a Holga immediately before an enourmous snowstorm. I love the surreal quality of the landscape and the urban remains. The history of the Park is fascinating (I did my architecture thesis project there.) I'd be happy to go on and on about it to anyone who will listen. When I show these images, people cannot believe they are looking at Manhattan. You can find the raw scans of the rest of the rolls in this gallery. There is also a map I made of the park there. When I have time, I will scan the prints from the exhibition. What do you all think?

41379903-O.jpg

41379907-O.jpg
Andrew Todd Marcus
Fotografía y Diseño
Photography & Design
http://catfish.smugmug.com

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Wow its so eerie isn't it? Love your processing technique too. If you had not told me I would nat have guessed it was manhattan.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    totally cool! thumb.gif
  • waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Don't you just love the Holga Andrew - a totally unique view of the world, weird and wonderful and trampling conventions in it's way rolleyes1.gif
    It's also an awesome camera for street work. What was the film?
    Great stuff
    mark
  • mugsytoddmugsytodd Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Mark-
    Thanks for the comments. I generally shoot with Ilford 400 Delta Pro. It's pretty versatile with the limited settings on the Holga and gives me the contrast I like. The actual prints are much richer, which I find to be generally true with the Holga--I guess lo-tech all the way is better. At times I get really grumpy with the Holga, especially when scanning negs. My scanner is unforgiving with the imperfections and often turns what may be a quirky effect in a print into a nightmare to deal with in PS.

I love the Holga because I can take it anyware and not worry about it. I've taken mine on a camel trek in the desert and on a 1000 mile walk across Spain and France. Now only if the back would stop popping off!

ATM

waveneyman wrote:
    Don't you just love the Holga Andrew - a totally unique view of the world, weird and wonderful and trampling conventions in it's way rolleyes1.gif
    It's also an awesome camera for street work. What was the film?
    Great stuff
    mark
    Andrew Todd Marcus
    Fotografía y Diseño
    Photography & Design
    http://catfish.smugmug.com
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Ilford delta 400 pro is my favourite film also. And if it's harsh light I just love the PanF 50.

I also have a really hard time scanning my images.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    I reckon all u need is alfred hitchcock standing leaning on a tree middle ground in pic 2 and you would have a intro pic to a horror movie. Amazing pics. Thanks for showing. clap.gif