Senior Shots -- C&C Please

RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited December 2, 2011 in People
Would love some suggestions to make these better and overall improve my technique:

Maddy1-M.jpg

Maddy3-M.jpg

Maddy7-M.jpg

Maddy8-M.jpg

Mother and Daughter:

Maddy12-M.jpg

Maddy17-M.jpg

Comments

• D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Nice series, I would avoid to many direct frontal shots like #1. It is loosing the depth feeling. Secondly I would try to get the models loose from the background. Either through a restricted DOF, or a darker background. Avoid full sun as that light is very hard. And repetition always works well, if you would have taken #1 from the left, so that the wooden fence or wall makes kind of a perspective, while the girl stayed in the current position, making sure that the focus was on the eyes of the girl.

#2, depth feeling works here, but straighten up the planks on the wall (see lefts side) especially when it is close to the edge of the picture
    #3, No that is not it, the model is ok , the pose is ok but the surroundings are not. The bicycle wheel is just to disturbing and busy. Especially the red frame, remember "red" always pulls the attention.
    #4 Ok but the light is not under control, to bright, loss of detail in the highlights. We call it a flat picture
    #5 This one is much better, Notice that the background is less busy and creates kind of a peaceful pleasant atmosphere
    #6 For me the best in this series.....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I agree with D3's comments. My biggest problem is that you have no direction of light. Photographers only have light direction to paint with. Pick a spot and then find a direction to turn the subject so that you have a light and dark side of the face. This would also lessen the width of her nose.
  • RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Thank you both for the feedback. These were taken during a photography seminar so I didn't have too much control over her poses...and I had to get in where I could to get my shots. There were 12 of us and 2 models. It was difficult at best. Thank you so much again for the suggestions.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    For me 1 is your best shot, better if from more of an angle and not cropped so tight.
    The rest have a snapshot feel to them.
    Try to see the entire frame and everything in it. Create the entire image. Backgrounds on these are not ideal.
    The light is not helping you with any of these shots, always try to shoot in good light.
    2 had potential, shot from her eye level and with her just a bit further from the fence and with a more relaxed natural look on her face.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    It's funny, I really like the setting in #3 (if not the angle - it's not as flattering of her face as some of the others) - I thought the bike was just blurred out enough to be unobtrusive, while still including an element of the senior's life and "setting the scene" by placing her in the center of the spokes. Different strokes n' all that.... thumb.gif
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Naturally, I'm going a different way.

I like # 1 and I like it with the fence in focus.
    The angle in # 2 looks like it has distorted her face/nose a bit.
    # 3 is OK but the red growing out of her head is a bit offputting.
    I like #4 and I LOVE cute moms like # 5.
    #6 is the best of the set to me.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the input! :) I really appreciate it!