Yuma Territorial Prison

Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited November 27, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Built with prison labor, the Yuma Territorial Prison opened in 1876 and was in operation for 33 years when it closed due to overcrowding. Situated along the Colorado river, it is a stone's throw to what is now the Arizona/California state line.

When the Yuma High School burned in 1910, the prison was pressed into use as a high school for 4 years. Their sports teams still carry the name "The Criminals" from this period. Next, the buildings served as the county hospital for 9 years.

It served as "hobo housing" in the 20's and was home to many depression-era families in the 30's. After being deserted for many years, the prison had suffered much damage due to having building materials stripped out by the locals; and a large part of the property was demolished for railroad construction.

Cell Blocks
i-D3BgF8H-X3.jpg
i-BnJThRW-X3.jpg

Iron door to the sallyport
i-3wZKL7w-X3.jpg

Watch Your Step! (hallway to "the dark room" used as punishment)
i-PXGBxXJ-X3.jpg

Lots of time on their hands...
i-hvrCJPx-X3.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Nice series of an interesting place. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Thanks Randy!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    I agree .. a very nice series of photos. Thank you too for the story behind this building. Fascinating place.

Wonder what wore down the center in photo #4.
  • Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Thank you for the comments, Mary.

Good question. Maybe leg chains dragging across? This was in the era that they'd put a ball & chain on you if tried to escape, and I suppose as punishment too.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Art Morgan wrote: »
    Thank you for the comments, Mary.

Good question. Maybe leg chains dragging across? This was in the era that they'd put a ball & chain on you if tried to escape, and I suppose as punishment too.

You could be right .. never thought of the ball and chain.