Reverse ring.

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 26, 2011 in Cameras
Hi
just looking at some videos on youtube about using reverse rings for macro photography. I find it to be a very interesting subject that you can reverse your lens in such a manner, that i am sure that they were not intended for this application when they were manufactured. Keen to look further into this are i thought of doing it myself. I was just wondering would my 5d2 and 24-70 have much success in this field of photography or would i be better off just buying a macro lens for the amount of control i would need of my F stops?
Kind regards
Patrick.

Comments

• oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Just found hidden in an old cubboard an old Kenlock_Mc.tor MC 1:2.8 F=28MM and a Aico Tele (2.0) with a quick flip. Mabey i could use these instead? Got them as a gift back in 2009.:D
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Yeah, but they don't give you much control. Aperture is locked, since Canon lenses don't have an aperture ring. You can hold down the DOF preview button as you release the lens, but if you want to change aperture then it's time consuming.

The 50mm f/2.5 macro is pretty cheap, if you only need 1:2 magnification. Or you could get a Canon 500D close-up filter to use at 70mm on your 24-70.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 26, 2011
    You can test any lens by just reversing it and holding it against the camera body, or use a tube to hold the lens at some distance from the body. With a dSLR you just use the viewfinder or Live View (if available) for focus and composition. Try it and see what works for you.

You can also reverse a lens in front of a host lens on the body. Used in this way the reversed lens is a "diopter" and simply allows closer focus for the host lens. Longer focal lengths are typically used in this role. (200-500mm typical, depending on the host lens focal length.) Short focal length lenses may also be used "for effect".

The point is that once you find combinations that work for you in the tests, then you can search for the appropriate adapters for your use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums