Navy Strong

Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
edited November 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Ive been in the Navy for almost 10 years. These images were taken during my first time actually underway on a boat. Let me know what you think!

1.pano2.jpg

2._DSC0170-1ed.jpg

3._DSC0160ed.jpg

4._DSC0116ed.jpg

5._DSC0099-1ed.jpg

6._DSC0088-1ed.jpg

7._DSC0082-1ed.jpg

8._DSC0068ed.jpg

9._DSC0060ed.jpg

10._DSC0054-1ed.jpg

11._DSC0035ed.jpg

12._DSC0024ed.jpg

13._DSC0001ed.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Wow .. awesome photos thumb.gif I enjoyed the series immensely. My Dad use to fly off a carrier during WWII.

I'm surprised you were able to take photos. The last photo .. they all have different colored jackets. Suppose it designates job duty.

Thanks for sharing these :D
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Very nice work! I like these a lot! Did you use a tilt-shift lens, or was the narrow focus done in post for #10 & 13? And I love the sense of motion you got panning in #2. What carrier were you on?
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Outstanding photos!!!!

ALSO, thank you for your service Dooginfif20!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    My favorite is probably #3. The T/S effect ones are cool too.

Color on the flight deck indicates specific role. The guys in yellow handle aircraft, brown shirts are plane captains, guys in blue move aircraft, the red are ordinance people, the purple ones fuel aircraft and the green ones are catapult crew--I think I got that right. It amazes me that anyone can remember all that they communicate with hand signals and get aircraft off (and back on) the ship with such speed and skill. What's even more amazing is the average age of the deck crew--awesome job these men and women do!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wow .. awesome photos thumb.gif I enjoyed the series immensely. My Dad use to fly off a carrier during WWII.

I'm surprised you were able to take photos. The last photo .. they all have different colored jackets. Suppose it designates job duty.

Thanks for sharing these :D

I am glad to share these! This was my first experience on the boat, so I really wanted to share these. The different colors are for what job they do!
    edited November 27, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice work! I like these a lot! Did you use a tilt-shift lens, or was the narrow focus done in post for #10 & 13? And I love the sense of motion you got panning in #2. What carrier were you on?

Im glad you liked them! The TS look was in post. same with panning in #2. I was on the good ol Abe Lincoln.
    edited November 27, 2011
    ront wrote: »
    Outstanding photos!!!!

ALSO, thank you for your service Dooginfif20!!

Ron

Thanks! I am glad to serve!
    edited November 27, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    My favorite is probably #3. The T/S effect ones are cool too.

Color on the flight deck indicates specific role. The guys in yellow handle aircraft, brown shirts are plane captains, guys in blue move aircraft, the red are ordinance people, the purple ones fuel aircraft and the green ones are catapult crew--I think I got that right. It amazes me that anyone can remember all that they communicate with hand signals and get aircraft off (and back on) the ship with such speed and skill. What's even more amazing is the average age of the deck crew--awesome job these men and women do!

Good job on the jobs! Also dont forget that green is also maintenance crew on the jets too! Ya the average age on a carrier is 20. So basically the youngest part of our country is doing one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    Good job on the jobs! Also dont forget that green is also maintenance crew on the jets too! Ya the average age on a carrier is 20. So basically the youngest part of our country is doing one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Thanks! And yup. Most dangerous and in many ways, one of the most important. And I think that says a lot about the professionalism of the crews.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Howdy,

What a stunning series, love each and everyone.

My Favorites out of the series are 1,2,10, and that
    really neat last one.

Thanks for Your Service, and All of Those in The Armed
    Forces, protecting all of Us and Our Freedoms.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited November 28, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy,

What a stunning series, love each and everyone.

My Favorites out of the series are 1,2,10, and that
    really neat last one.

Thanks for Your Service, and All of Those in The Armed
    Forces, protecting all of Us and Our Freedoms.

Kindest Regards,

Craig

Im glad you liked them! I am hoping to get some better angles when we deploy. look for more of my pics when i get back!
  • ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I spent a lot of time on Kitty Hawk and often tried to capture the energy and precision of ops on the flight deck with very little success. I like your shots, but wonder about the color. Were you shooting in auto white balance? There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in color rendition.
    edited November 28, 2011
    ashby wrote: »
    I spent a lot of time on Kitty Hawk and often tried to capture the energy and precision of ops on the flight deck with very little success. I like your shots, but wonder about the color. Were you shooting in auto white balance? There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in color rendition.

these all have been through a round of post. I intended for them to have the coloring that they do so no I didnt shoot in AWB