Big Sur Sunrise - time to get wet!!!

dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited December 1, 2011 in Landscapes
After shooting the stars from the cliffs above I made my way down a slippery rock trail for a closer up view at sunrise. Big Sur offers a lot of beauty but can also be raw and dangerous. The waves were moving in fast and splashing up above the cliffs. So while shooting from below I manged to get soaked up to my waist by a fast moving wave. Fortunately the camera remained dry.
I know this place pretty well but still never take it's power for granted, especially in the Winter. Please exercise caution if you visit Big Sur. Know your surrounding and limits.

25Nov118205B2-XL.jpg

25Nov118215ARt2-XL.jpg

25Nov118254BlRt-XL.jpg

25Nov118287A2-XL.jpg

Comments

• LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Wonderful series. I thought the first one captured the power and the motion of the wave beautifully ...
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    LightMagic wrote: »
    Wonderful series. I thought the first one captured the power and the motion of the wave beautifully ...

Thanks LightMagic, it was a fun shooting these waves from closer up.

Derek
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    Neat shots, Derek. I like the first one best myself. Glad you didn't get washed away. thumb.gif
  • bigpixbigpix Registered Users Posts: 371 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Little saturation to the sky and also darken a tad the same area, then your image will jump
    Cheers...... Big Pix
    Lake Macquarie NSW Australia
    www.bigpix.smugmug.com
    Please do not EDIT
    my Images
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Thanks guys,

Kdog when you are down in Monterey/Big Sur area I'll take to some new trails. Garrapata has so much to shoot right there. Its a pretty amazing place. Also there are calendar specific events which occur like the sun beam shotting through the rock at Pfeiffer Beach. Get ready, its almost that time. D

Bigpix, thanks for the suggestions. I purposely wanted to go with more of a pastel, subdued sky look this time around. But yes, these could work well with more sat and contrast as well.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I like your last image the best, it is very well exposed all the way around. I you have a repeat, I would try to get down even lower (without getting soaked) to your foreground rocks as they look very interesting.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2011
    #1 is my favorite too. It would be nice to see it with more color/contrast for comparison, but I really like its subdued tones as they are. It is a gorgeous image!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com