Options

Daguerreotype and/or Calotype?

TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited November 28, 2011 in Finishing School
Howdy!
I'm looking for information about Daguerreotypes and Calotypes relative to today's photographic processes. My interest is mainly to reproduce the limitations they had, only with my current equipment (Nikon D90, various lenses, Ps and Lr). What settings, etc. are comparable to back then and how can I find out?

Additionally, I may want to build both of these some day. Does anyone know of any solid resources?
Thanks.
A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 27, 2011
    I had a discussion about imitating Daguerreotypes here on dgrin a few years ago, specifically trying to create the look on a printed paper, but I think that is challenging as real Daguerreotypes were created on a silvered copper plate and hence highly reflective. I have wondered whether the new metallic papers, or even the aluminum plates with printed images upon them, might offer a fair re-creation of a Daguerreotype, but I have not tried it. I know some readers on dgrin have printed some images on silver paper to try and create the look of a Daguerreotype.

One might photograph a silver plate and then blend that in PS with an aged B&W image for a faux daguerreotype image.

I do know that Silver Efex Pro ( the plug in for creating B&W images ) does offer some presets called Ambrotype, Cyanotype, and Tin Type, but I do not think Tin Type looks like a Daguerreotype.

I know you can purchafe faux daguerreotype prints from Zazzle.ca and other places.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Thanks!
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.