Options

Does this image tell a story

ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited November 30, 2011 in People
I captured this candid shot over the thanksgiving visits, of my wife and grandson . Do you think it tells a story?
i-tGs2MM7-L.jpg
Thanks Randall
Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
branhamphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Personally, after looking the pic over (and expecting to see a great story!), I find I'm really distracted by a lot of elements not related to a single story (especially one that exudes your title).

I think with your title, you really meant to capture the interaction between the grandma(?) and the grandson(?) but there are way too many other elements (apples, computer monitor, wine rack, out doors, plant, books, dining table, chairs, super heavy vignetting, etc) that take away from that interaction.

Next time (or even with a heavy crop on this pic), I'd move in closer to the "action". :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I have been looking it over and over but can not find the story. So , I am afraid that it is not working. I was wondering if the hint was " wisdom" as it written down. But it does not show.. sorry
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Is the fruit in the foreground part of the story? Maybe the computer screen? Something in the backyard?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2011
    WEll I appreciate your comments.
    I had thought the " library look with all the surroundings" would depict that the grandma was conversing with her grandson and imparting some "wisdom" among all the other learning experiences one has in his early years including the computer screen . The bowl of fruit I thought about just removing and decided against it,I left it in to help lead the eye into the image.
    Guess I was over playing the scene in my mind.
    Thanks Randall
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    The bowl of fruit is definitely not a leading line!! Rember bright areas come forward to ones eye and dark areas receede. Your subject should have your eyes interest. You xo not have to stay with a traditional crop. Try a long narrow crop.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    The distractions aside, there is just something missing. Part of it may be the distance from the subjects, part of it may be that your wife's face is obscured, part of it is the space between your wife and grandson. There is a personal connection missing between the two of them which would have made the shot more warm & intimate. Even if your grandson had been leaning forward toward your wife, the connection would have been there. (IMHO)
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I'm with the rest of the group...the story: "woman and child hang out on a window seat in a suburban house", doesn't speak to me. Sorry.
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Sorry... I agree with the others... just too many distractions. Plus there is a bit of lamp up above that is unsightly and does nothing for you. Maybe if had been the other side of the table? ...or had pulled the table out of the way and try again? I dunno.

As it is, you have only 10 - 15% of the shot attempting to "say something" and ends up saying nothing.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2011
    Thanks guys I never expected to receive such great details in your comments -I have learned a lot here . I initially thought this was a great photo telling a story ,now I see it has a lot to be desired ,there's just so much to getting it right . Thanks a million
    Randall
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    No worries. I think sometimes when you are more emotionally attached to the subjects, you tend to see more with your heart than your eyes.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2011
    Very well said jww
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    jww wrote: »
    No worries. I think sometimes when you are more emotionally attached to the subjects, you tend to see more with your heart than your eyes.

I was thinking this very same thought.

The trick in photography isnt neccisarily for the viewer to somehow be smitten by what grabs the photographer(thats your emotional attachment), but more so an ability for the photgrapher to create an avenue that leads the viewer to find their own emotional attachment.

As mentioned, many of the elements in this image pull they eyes away from the subjects rather than leading to them. Get them closer together and get that camera in near them. But whatever you do, keep shooting!thumb.gif