Lighting up the Fog

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited December 3, 2011 in Landscapes
i-277KrR2-X2.jpg

Every once in a while, an opportunity comes along that reignites my creativity and makes me incredibly grateful for having started my photographic project (concentrating on shooting my town)…last night was just such a night. The weather called for gathering clouds at sunset so I had scratched a planned photoshoot off the night’s plans. When I went out at 4 however, the air felt very humid and I wondered if we might get a bit of fog. I grabbed my camera and tripod and drove down to the causeway to get a better view of conditions and see if a shoot might materialize.

I found myself surrounded by thickening fog and a grin started spreading on my face. I had a shot in mind for some time that only would work in thick fog but I had to wait for the causeway’s lamp posts to light first. I drove up to Chandler Hovey and then explored Devereaux as the sun set and found some nice shots and colors at both spots.

When the lights on the causeway turned on, I went to work. I tried a number of compositions but this was the one I had envisioned. The fog brought out the arc of light from the lamps and, as I stood there waiting for cars to pass, a group of pedestrians made their way towards me. One was on the top of the causeway and, just as I was about to click the shutter, a car's headlights produced a brilliant glow to backlight them. I knew I had to convert this to a black and white so that the shot stood without distraction.

It is incredibly gratifying to realize a shot even better than I could have imagined it.

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Right place, right time, right gear. You nailed it.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Great shot Eyal. It's haunting.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    What's the saying...." Luck is preparation meeting opportunity " ...or something like that? In any event, your preparation paid off well for you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate it. I have been remiss in posting/contributing here but will try to correct that in the coming year...
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Beautiful ! Well done ! thumb.gifthumb
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Awesome shot. Reminds me of those Brassai night street scenes of Paris.
    edited November 28, 2011
    Thank you both. I have to confess to having to luck up some of Brassai's work but that is high praise indeed...
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    I love this shot and the sensations it evokes.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Terrific photo, Eyal! Something very eerie here!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Very nice shot. Love the lighting and the mood.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    That's definitely a "Wow" shot. Very nicely done!
    edited November 30, 2011
    Thank you all. Really appreciate the kind words. Forget how great the camaraderie is on dgrin... As I said, I have been terrible about visiting and posting but will try to correct that.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Fine shot! A result like that will energize you.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    A damn good shot!
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2011
    Love it!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 1, 2011
    Great shot, E. It's always nice when a vision is fulfilled.
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    classic noir
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    This is a very nice shot, but I feel it doesn't quiet achieve its potential! If I'd taken this, I'd have some regrets.

First, it's unfortunate that the left hand pedestrian is not separated from the lamp post which is growing out of his/her head. It might have been better if the outline of this person was complete, as with the other person.

Second, it's also unfortunate that the top of this post is lost in the light of the near post. I would have liked to have been positioned to place the far post slightly to the left.

Third, the figure walking on the wall might be considered quirky, but I'd remove it. It's an odd place to be walking and a second person isn't needed in the composition.

I'm also unsure all the negative space on the left of the frame is necessary. Did you consider a crop closer to square?

Some may think my comments a little picky, but they're just my thoughts! mwink.gif
    edited December 3, 2011
    Some may think my comments a little picky, but they're just my thoughts! mwink.gif

Your suggestions sound like my old-school photo professors and faculty... not sure if that's good or bad. lol.

All the people, but especially the person on the wall brings an entirely new mood to the picture; the picture is a different entity because of the individual. Heck, for me its the subject of the picture completely and it's what makes this photo come to life with personality. It makes me think and look more, since it isn't typical to be walking on the walls. So does the vastness of these 3 tiny people in one massive grey fog... where are they going next in life? In my opinion your suggestions would make it into a beautiful artsy piece, but it would take the personality and thought provoking aspects out of the photo out completely. It's a moment of real life and culture, and not just one well placed single person placed just right on the path.

Sorry if I may come off harsh, but these are also just my thoughts. Lol. My professors could never see contemporary photography as good and it irritated me whenever they'd get into those modes. Awesome teachers, but just stuck in certain ways.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    You sound like my old-school photo professors and faculty
    They must have been very inciteful, supportive and caring! :D
    edited December 3, 2011
    They must have been very inciteful, supportive and caring! :D

Oh they were, and are, for sure! But when it came to appreciating things outside their realm it got really irritating. It took me being there for 3 years just to get one compliment from the main professor since he was stuck in the 70's visually speaking.

Oh, by the way, that post isn't really lost in the light of the other post at all. It is more grey than black, but I see it clearly. Is your monitor calibrated?

It could be burned easily anyway since no info is lost
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    Good scene, well pre-viz'd and captured, with a nice bit of 'extra' ... especially the bod on the wall, imo.

Nice job.

pp
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    this is amazing! really love addition of people in it wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2011
    It is great that you had this previsualized and knew the right conditions needed to make this shot special. I love the lighting which is being manipulated by the fog. It almost reminds me of a huge broadway scene with the spot lighting and atmosphere. Good stuff brother!
  • MizzoMizzo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2011
    Wow! This shot is simply amazing. Perfectly composed, great mood.
    edited December 3, 2011
    Thanks again everyone! Loved to read the thoughts by dub dub and overfocused - both well put and taken