Options

Wedding shot entirely in B&W and only on a 50mm (CnC)

bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited January 1, 2012 in Weddings
I've been wanting to do this for some time. Shoot an entire wedding in black and white only using my 50mm. I finally found the perfect bride for the concept. She's 7 months pregnant and they got married at a courthouse. Been dreaming about shooting one of those for a while now, too...

To read more details about how the wedding and concept came about -> http://bobbyearle.com/blog/lydia-and-davids-wedding-one-lens/

LnD-03.jpg
LnD-02.jpg
LnD-04.jpg
LnD-05.jpg
LnD-06.jpg
LnD-12.jpg
LnD-07.jpg
LnD-08.jpg
LnD-09.jpg
LnD-10.jpg
LnD-11.jpg
LnD-13.jpg
LnD-14.jpg
LnD-15.jpg
LnD-16.jpg
LnD-17.jpg
LnD-18.jpg
LnD-19.jpg
LnD-20.jpg
LnD-21.jpg
LnD-22.jpg
LnD-28.jpg
LnD-23.jpg
LnD-24.jpg
LnD-25.jpg
LnD-26.jpg
LnD-27.jpg
LnD-29.jpg
LnD-30.jpg
LnD-31.jpg
LnD-32.jpg
LnD-33.jpg
LnD-34.jpg
LnD-35.jpg
LnD-36.jpg
LnD-37.jpg
LnD-38.jpg
LnD-39.jpg
LnD-40.jpg
LnD-41.jpg
LnD-42.jpg
LnD-43.jpg
LnD-44.jpg
LnD-53.jpg
LnD-54.jpg
LnD-55.jpg
LnD-56.jpg
LnD-57.jpg
LnD-58.jpg
LnD-59.jpg
LnD-60.jpg
LnD-61.jpg
LnD-62.jpg
LnD-45.jpg
LnD-46.jpg
LnD-47.jpg
LnD-48.jpg
LnD-49.jpg
LnD-51.jpg
LnD-52.jpg
LnD-63.jpg
LnD-64.jpg
LnD-65.jpg
LnD-66.jpg
LnD-67.jpg
LnD-68.jpg
LnD-69.jpg
LnD-70.jpg
LnD-71.jpg
LnD-72.jpg
LnD-73.jpg
LnD-74.jpg
LnD-75.jpg
LnD-76.jpg
LnD-77.jpg
LnD-78.jpg
LnD-79.jpg
LnD-80.jpg
LnD-81.jpg
LnD-82.jpg
LnD-83.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    Very cool, Bobby! I love bw weddings!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    While I like the photos and the courthouse set definitely profits from the b&w treatment, I would like to understand why you'd want to actually shoot it in b&w. .... I'm all ear and just curious to hear your opinion .... I'd just feel like I'm "limiting myself".
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Bobby, you got a broken link on your thread. It's not linking to the wedding entry. Though I read the entry last night when i saw you post it on twitter. :P
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    That's a great set, Bobby.

Black and white is hard enough, but fixed focal length? That's REALLY hard. But I think you nailed it.

My favorite is this one:
    LnD-67.jpg

I love how the cupcakes are sharp and everything else has a nice, soft bokeh.

There is something vaguely retro about these images. Most modern b&w pics look like modern pics with color removed. These actually look like pics taken in the 60s or 70s, except for the computer keyboards and other modern items. Maybe it's the grain.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    Bobby these are great. definately eye candy for the prime loving pj crowd. These are artfully and purposfully composed (I assume,but certinly true to theme) half face crops showing your "limited" focal range. The 2up vert pano details are also within theme. nice work!!

***edit*** Ha! pics look different in tapatalk from my phone!!! Good work Bobby but disregard the above!!
    Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    kick ass work dude!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I always wanted to shoot full wedding in B&W, i can't find anyone to agree Laughing.gif. Awesome photos, good for your to find a perfect and willing couple! I would probably shoot everything with 70-200 or 85
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    BakkoBakko Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    I love the pictures and the concept, great job with the black and white!
    5DMKII - 60D - Canon 27-70mm - Canon 10-22mm - Canon 85mm f/1.8
    580 EX II - 430 EX II
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2011
    LOVE. I would personally like to see a true black in most images, but that's just me. Aside from that I think these are wonderful. Awesome job!

I'm so inspired now!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2011
    very nice - If you dont mind could you please share your B&W conversion process ? did you use VSCO film for edit ?
  • Options
    ERPhotoERPhoto Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2011
    Beautiful work!
    Javier B. Edwards
    Phone:954-479-9718
    Email: elroi954@gmail.com
    Blog: elroiphoto.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2011
    I often talk about wanting to do something like this but haven't yet had a couple looking for a full B&W wedding. Love that you did though as this is great!

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    Really a great set.

Just a quick note for those of you that want to shoot something in B&W. Shoot in RAW plus JPG.
    The RAW's will look like they always do, the JPG's, if you set your camera to Monochrome picture style, will be in B&W.
    The bad news, your reviews on the back of the camera will also be in B&W.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Really a great set.

Just a quick note for those of you that want to shoot something in B&W. Shoot in RAW plus JPG.
    The RAW's will look like they always do, the JPG's, if you set your camera to Monochrome picture style, will be in B&W.
    The bad news, your reviews on the back of the camera will also be in B&W.

How is that bad news? I LOVE shooting in-camera B&W, some of my favorite images were made with in-camera B&W. To me, the whole point is that I can impress people by showing them the B&W on the back of the camera!

Also, for the record as a Nikon shooter I don't bother shooting in RAW+JPG, I simply use Nikon's View NX program to browse my RAW files. That way I see the in-camera colors, and can export high-quality JPG images without having to consume the extra memory card space. Canon shooters can use the Canon program DPP or whatever their browser is called, but I've tried it too and honestly it's a lot more clunky than View NX or Photomechanic, so I recommend Photomechanic to Canon users. It's the best way to quickly browse your images with the in-camera colors still intact, whether or not you shoot RAW or JPG.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum